The Coastal Processes and Ecosystems Laboratory (CaPE Lab) is looking for a skilled Hydrographer/Marine Technician and energetic team member in a dynamic, science-based lab who is interested in living in a unique setting on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts. The CaPE Lab is a joint research effort between the School for the Environment within the University of Massachusetts Boston (UMB) and the Center for Coastal Studies (CCS) in Provincetown, Massachusetts.
The successful candidate will lead the day-to-day operations of nearshore, shallow water acoustic surveys and contribute to ongoing scientific studies. This person will be stationed at The Center’s Hiebert Marine Lab in Provincetown, Massachusetts. The Center and UMB have several acoustic instruments including the Edgetech 6205 phase-measuring sidescan sonar (550/1600 kHz), the Edgetech 4125 (550/1600 kHz), and two Teledyne RDI Sentinel V ADCPs (1000 kHz). The CaPE Lab has two main acoustic survey platforms, a customized, shallow-draft, research vessel (27’ Eastern) and a custom-built 12’ ultra-shallow draft (~0.5 ft) pontoon.
Main responsibilities are the acquisition of hydrographic data during day cruises based primarily from the Marine Lab in Provincetown and occasionally other locations. Also, the candidate will be the lead for the processing of bathymetric data. Days at sea will vary but typically range from 20-30 days per year. Qualifications include:
- Experience at sea on vessel-based, acoustic
- Experience with hydrographic data acquisition, preferably using Hypack and
- Experience, or aptitude with the planning of field operations and
- Experience, or aptitude with troubleshooting hydroacoustic & oceanographic
- Experience with hydrographic data processing and visualization through software packages such as Hypack, CARIS, SonarWiz, Fledermaus, and
- A Master’s Degree in a relevant field is preferred, though candidates with long-term professional experience will be considered.
- Experience with phase-measuring sidescan sonar operations and data processing a
Hydrographers, technicians, and other specialists are encouraged to apply. Ample opportunities exist for program expansion, as well as integration with other UMB and CCS programs, depending on candidate skills and interests.
Position comes with a comprehensive benefits package and salary is commensurate with experience. Please submit cover letter and CV via email to:
Stephanie Richardson: email@example.com
Review of applications will begin after September 10th and will continue until the position is filled.