Dr. Mark Borrelli (Link to CV) is a Coastal Geologist. His research interests include coastal sedimentary processes in general and understanding how storms, sea level rise and anthropogenic impacts affect the coast in particular. Recent and ongoing research include mapping the seafloor in shallow (<1 - 10 m) coastal waters, studying bedforms and sediment transport in the nearshore, understanding the morphodynamics of tidal inlets as well as coastal evolution on multiple temporal and spatial scales.
Dr. Borrelli is the Director of the Coastal Processes and Ecosystems Laboratory (CAPE Lab), a joint research effort between the School for the Environment within the University of Massachusetts at Boston and the Center for Coastal Studies in Provincetown Massachusetts. The CAPE lab has research vessels and facilities at both locations.
- PhD, Dept. of Geosciences, University of Rhode Island, 2008
- MS, Dept. of Geological Sciences, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2001
- BS, Dept. of Geology, Tufts University, 1999
- 1/2018 – Present Director, Coastal Processes and Ecosystems (CAPE) Lab, Joint Research Laboratory, School for the Environment, University of Massachusetts, Boston and The Center for Coastal Studies, Provincetown MA
- 2014 – Present Research Faculty, School for the Environment, University of Massachusetts-Boston
- 2011 – Present Associate Scientist, Chair, Dept. of Marine Geology, Center for Coastal Studies, Provincetown, MA
- 2010 – Present Director, Seafloor Mapping Program, Dept. of Marine Geology, Center for Coastal Studies, Provincetown, MA
- 2009 – 2014 Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Environmental, Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of Massachusetts-Boston
- 2009 – 2010 Assistant Scientist, Project Manager: Cape Cod Bay Seafloor Mapping Project Dept. of Marine Geology, Center for Coastal Studies, Provincetown, MA
- 2007 – 2009 Coastal Geologist, Dept. of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences; Texas A&M University. Duty-Station: US National Park Service, Geologic Resources Division, Lakewood, CO
- 2003 – 2005 Coastal Geologist, Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management, Boston, MA