We ask that you follow the Rules as laid out below.
Be Creative – Respect the rules – explore, inquire, engage and most importantly HAVE FUN!
- Absolutely Forbidden: Weapons, weapon-related items or accessories, drug paraphernalia, or other offensive items.
- Do not use equipment without first working with Makerspace staff to fully understand their use, and get approval to do so
- We do not judge others – neither the objects they create or the techniques they used in creating them.
- Share your wisdom. The MakerSpace is a family. If you see someone struggle and can help, please do so. If you don’t know how to do or use something, please ask!
- Clean up – When you are finished clear up your work area and return the equipment to its original location.
- Things Break – the 3D printers and scanners are delicate equipment. Please inform the staff if you notice that the equipment is not working.
- No copyright, patent, or trademark infringement allowed. You cannot use the Makerspace Lab to make, replicate, or alter objects, whether physical or digital, that violates copyright, patent, or trademark law.
- We are happy to provide all our services free of charge to all students, faculty, and staff at UMass Boston. To reiterate: we don’t charge for any use of the lab or equipment, nor for the materials or time used to print something. However, the Makerspace is for learning and is not intended to be used for large-scale production. Makerspace supervisors reserve the right to reject print requests or discuss cost sharing if you are printing more than we can support. Please don’t be afraid of this limitation, and instead consider this limitation as a challenge! If you are concerned that your project will require above average printing amounts, please Contact Us and we will be happy to discuss the project with you.
Got any other questions? Contact Us
For health reasons we do not print using ABS material.
A first-aid kit is located above the sink.
Credit to Brandeis University for sharing these rules.