Fulbright in Zanzibar in my future (it is really soon)!

The State University of Zanzibar Tunguu Campus

Ever since I finished my doctorate, my goal had been to get a Fulbright grant for my first sabbatical after tenure and spend another year in Tanzania doing research and teaching. In Tanzania, US Scholar Fulbrights are teaching/research grants requiring grantees to do both teaching and research. For me, this was perfect, because I love both and I actively integrate my teaching and research. I was very honored to be awarded a Fulbright Scholar grant and am working on preparations to live in Zanzibar from September 2016 to July 2017 and teach and do research at State University of Zanzibar (SUZA).

I am so grateful for this opportunity and for the people and projects like the Toa Nafasi Project and the Irente Rainbow School who have been wonderful collaborators and helped me on my journey to this new partnership at SUZA. I have already met and worked with wonderful friends and colleagues at SUZA and look forward to this new adventure.

Here is an article about my upcoming experience published by my university: https://www.umb.edu/news/detail/fulbright_winning_umass_boston_professor_to_work_in_tanzania

A preschool in Zanzibar like the ones I will study over the next year