iPads in the Classroom

Enhancing teaching and Learning with iPads

Providing feedback to compositions on the iPad

| 7 Comments

Has anyone had any experience correcting compositions on the iPad? What applications have you used? John tells me that some people have used Notability but I still haven’t found that an easy app for composition marking. Is there anything similar to track changes in Word?

How have you had students send you their compositions electronically? Do you use your UMass email address, create a folder in dropbox or any other way?

I have always insisted on the old-fashioned paper and pen however I’m looking for something to speed up the process.

7 Comments

1. Hey Susan,
    In one of my iPad workshop I have been showing faculty how to use Goodreader to comment on student papers for the past several semesters. I can touch base with some of them and get some feedback as to how it’s working out if you are interested.
    Generally the process is that the students submit the paper usually via email to the faculty who saves the file to a DropBox folder, that folder can be synched directly to Goodreader where the faculty comments and marks up the paper then can email it back out to the student.
    If you are interested we can set up a meeting and I can give you a consult on the process.

Jess

2. I just posted a link in Resources to a Penn State iPad project where writing faculty had students use iAnnotate to comment on each others’ writing and SugarSync for file-sharing. These folks are comp experts and this part of the process seemed to work for them, but I haven’t had a chance to explore it more.

3. I just went back to the Penn State site and found an account of an instructor’s process in using these apps for commenting on and grading student work that I’ll add to Resources.

4. FWIW: After using Word tracking for years, I’m using Notability to comment on student papers (I’ve had them try it for Peer Review). At first I found Notability tough to use until a colleague pointed out the zoom feature which makes it so much easier. I like the fact that you can type or hand write comments and use both formats right within the same document. It’s also easy to email the paper back to the student through your Contacts. I’ve also been sending myself a copy…which is easy….as backup. Students submit papers in PDF format to a gmail account I’ve set up using labels so that they get sorted into classes. John was a huge help in getting this all set up for and with me. BTW, I’m finding it much more efficient than my old Word method but am still getting used to it and a little nervous about not feeling as in control of the process as I was with my old method. I think much of this might stem from needing to get used to a new way of doing things.

Victoria Kingsley

• Thanks Victoria

Perhaps you can show me how you do it some time. The problems I have found with it is that Notability won’t open files sent to Dropbox. Also, you can’t provide comments where they are needed. It puts them anywhere in the file.

• HI Susan,

I’ve been using Notability regularly for a long time to read/comment on student work. It does export directly to Dropbox (also email, etc.). and, with the recent update, Notability will open .doc and PDF–I find it the best program of its kind by a long shot. and way easier and more flexible than Good Reader.

5. Hi Susan, FWIW, the zoom feature has given me much more control over where the comments go in the text. I started out having students use DropBox but now am having them send papers to gmail address/account I set up for this purpose. it seems easier and not dependent upon students using DropBox and sharing docs correctly. If the doc isn’t in PDF in the DropBox, Notability won’t open it but I’m sure you know this. I’d be happy to share my experiences trying some of these apps and would love to learn from others, too!.