Current Student Information

Let’s make sure that you’re informed of all of the resources around campus…

My Health Beacon Portal

Your My Health Services Portal is a great place to start. Here’s some helpful information to get you started: Log into the My Health Beacon portal here.  If you are having trouble contact the IT service desk at 617.287.5220. First steps: Select the Profile tab to review your profile and make sure that the information contained there is correct and up-to-date. You can edit your phone number and choose your mobile phone carrier.

Health Services Requirements

University policy and Massachusetts Immunization Laws require all full-time students, and all full-time and part-time Health Science and International Students (including Visiting Scholars and Foreign Exchange Students), to be immunized. If you do not submit the vaccination records early enough a hold is placed on your account which prevents you from enrolling in spring courses; enrollment begins in November. Check out the New Student Health Requirements Checklist. 

Submit your vaccination records by logging on to your My Health Beacon account to submit your documents electronically. Or submit hard copies to the following:  Fax : 617.287.3977

Office hours: M–W: 8:30 a.m. –7:00 p.m., Th–F: 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Drop box available for after hours.

Univrsity Health Services Quinn Administration Building University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Boulevard
Boston, MA 02125-3393

University Health Insurance

The University also provides Health Insurance plans to students that do not have previous coverage. If you’re currently covered by an alternative plan, be sure to waive your coverage, or you will be charged. The Fall 2019 deadline to waive the SHP is October 1st. To waive the student health insurance plan, submit an online waiver to the Bursar’s Office and certify that you have alternative coverage, the name of the entity offering the plan, the policy number or member identification number, the name of the subscriber or primary enrollee and the relationship of that person to the student, and a statement that the coverage is comparable to the coverage required under a SHP plan. Access the waiver online through the WISER system.


There are a number of ways to get to campus including public transportation. The University offers several options for parking on and near campus. Check out the interactive campus-map. If you decide to drive to campus, parking passes can be purchased outright, or added to your tuition bill. Be sure to complete the correct form online.

University ID (BeaconCard)

The BeaconCard is the official ID card of UMass Boston. You’ll be able to obtain your ID after your registration for classes. The BeaconCard office is located in Quinn 2-059 (next to Parking & Transportation)

Get your library barcode so that you can access scholarly articles off-campus, by using your ID. Follow the instructions below:

On-campus students, visit the Circulation Desk with your Beacon Card or UMass Boston ID. A library staff member will activate your Beacon Card which will provide access to all of the library resources. Online students or students taking classes off campus, may call the Circulation Desk at 617.287.5900 to be assigned a barcode over the phone. Please have your UMS number and your mailing address ready for confirmation.

Online Course Information

Blackboard is the software that you will use to access your online course. You will not have access to your course until the official start date of the class. The WISER System is where you will manage your classes and information about yourself. You will note that your WISER account will reflect all of the courses that you’re registered for, BEFORE you view course information in Blackboard. You may confirm the start date in your WISER account.

Academic Support Services– The Graduate Writing Center

The purpose of the Graduate Writing Center (GWC) is to provide one-to-one conferences to students who are willing to make a commitment to work with a professional consultant over several weeks. Students who are in the process of completing graduate coursework at UMass Boston, and who wish to develop their paper writing process, graduate-level research skills, and/or understanding of the general expectations associated with graduate study, should consider signing up for conferences. Generally, a student meets with his/her consultant for weekly one-hour appointments.