John Hancock MLK Scholars Interview

John Hancock MLK Scholars Interview

This week, I had the chance to speak to Carlos Andrade, a member of the John Hancock MLK Summer Scholars Program. The MLK Summer Scholars Program offers Urban Scholars’ high school students and alumni the opportunity to receive paid internships on UMass Boston’s campus and other universities and organizations throughout Boston.

Carlos Andrade is a recent graduate of Jeremiah Burke High School and will be attending Bridgewater State University in the fall. At the moment, he is thinking of majoring in Biology but also recognizes that it is not his only interest.

Currently, Carlos is working with Marine Operations at UMass Boston. He gets the opportunity to sell tickets for Marine Operations’ “Harbor Cruises,” attend boat tours, and clean up around the harbor. He is very enthusiastic about his position and has stated that his “love for new things brought him [there].” His job allows him to travel by boat to the New England Aquarium, Spectacle Island, and the Boston Harbor’s Deer Island Thermal Power Plant.

“I really like working with Marine Operations. The ocean breeze reminds me of when I lived in Cape Verde,” he said.

Carlos is really enjoying his experience with Marine Operations. He is grateful to the MLK Summer Scholars Program and Urban Scholars for giving him the opportunity to gain some experience in a field that he is very passionate about.

“Through this experience, I’ve learned a lot about responsibility and the direction I want to in my life” he says.

When the internship ends, Carlos will be starting his freshman year at Bridgewater State University to initiate the move towards his bright future.

Along with Carlos, the other 11 MLK Summer Scholars Interns are:

Dane Bien-Ame

Commonwealth Compact

Sabrina Brown

Office of Curriculum & Instruction

Stanasa Dowdye

Project REACH

Tramel Griffith

IT Dept. “Summer Youth Blog”

Medgine Joseph

MIT Architecture Dept.

Jennie Lai

IT Dept. “Summer Youth Blog”

Jenny Noel

William Monroe Trotter Institute

Zaimara Pena

Project REACH

Veronis Sanchez

Campus Kitchen

McCaela Shaw

Urban Scholars

Frantzer Tondereau

Urban Scholars