The Fiske Center Blog

Weblog for the Fiske Center for Archaeological Research at the University of Massachusetts Boston.

Sylvester Manor Cemetery Survey: better preliminary results

| 0 comments

A nicer version of the information in the previous post

My good friend Ray Dillman, a graphic artist who makes commercials and such has long lamented the poor training scientists receive in data presentation.  He had some time on his hands and made my screen shot of the GPR look so much better.  Thanks Ray and I hope the fonts in the jpg came out correctly.

If you are interested in learning more Wikipedia has a nice entry on GPR (and the pictures there are not much better than in my previous post).

Ironically we just finished a mini-course at the Fiske Center that was called “Charts, graphs, & tables” that I gave.  Needless to say, the focus was on content.  Maybe I should expand the course to include at least a mention of aesthetics.

Author: John Steinberg

Dr. John Steinberg has been a Research Scientist at the Fiske Center since 2006. He received his PhD in Anthropology from UCLA in 1997. Before coming to UMass Boston, John taught at UCLA and California State University Northridge. He is interested in the economic problems of colonization, both in New England and across the North Atlantic. He uses GIS and shallow geophysics to study settlement patterns to understand broad trends over the landscape. In addition to John's New England work, he has been studying the settlement patterns of Viking Age Iceland. John is the director of the Digital Archaeology Laboratory at the Fiske Center.