Psych350 Learning and Memory

An exploration of how humans acquire and remember new information, associations and skills with Professor Vivian Ciaramitaro

Recovering Traumatic Memories

| 16 Comments

Sharing from one of your classmates:

Recently in class a student asked why someone would want to uncover repressed memories of traumatic incidents. Speaking from first hand experience, as I have dealt with this personally, I can tell you why remembering was important for me.

Just because I did not have conscious memories of my early trauma does not  mean it was not affecting me. I suffered many of the textbook symptoms of my specific kind of abuse; depression, anxiety, low self esteem, PTSD, nightmares, anger, and a whole slew of other rotten emotions. Before I could effectively deal with my issue, I needed to know what the problem was so I could apply specific, effective coping methods. Also, talking about the problem and sharing my pain with supportive friends was especially helpful, something I could not have done if I had no knowledge of the issue.

I think also, it helps put things into perspective, kind of like, “Ok, incident “A” happened to me, which caused me to do behavior “B” but I shouldn’t feel too bad about that since it was a basic response to trauma “A.”

Plus, just knowing your history and having all the facts is important for someone’s sense of self. Before remembering, I knew something wasn’t right, something was missing, but I could not put my finger on it.

For me, the worst part was not having to acknowledge the situation, but all the anguish and confusion that took place before the memory was revealed to me. Even though it was dark and scary, it was actually a relief in a way to recover the memory, because I was able to begin healing and understanding myself which enabled me to grow and move on.

The body remembers everything, there is no real forgetting. Every sadness, every abuse, it’s always there, waiting to be called on and comforted. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

by 00723730

16 Comments

1. Great information, thanks for sharing.
    فتح اقفال

2. I suffered from what they called peripheral artery disease (PAD). I have been suffering for years, Me and my wife searched for a medical cure, and then we came across a testimony of a man who suffered the same and was cured by Dr Chief Lucky. So my wife and I contacted Dr Chief Lucky via an email and thank God he replied. I explained what was wrong and he sent me herbal medicines that helped heal me completely. I am happy to say that herbal medicine is the ultimate and Dr Chief Lucky I am grateful. You can contact him on his email: chiefdrlucky@gmail.com or whatsapp: +2348132777335, Dr Chief Lucky said that he also specializes in the following diseases: LUPUS, ALS, CANCER, HPV, HERPES, DIABETES, COPD, HEPATITIS B, HIV AIDS, And more.

3. The modern and comfortable Galleria Shops invite visitors to stroll through fashionable boutiques where they can indulge in shopping for every taste. Stylish clothes, accessories, jewelry, authentic gifts and much more will become for visitors the very acquisition that will delight them for many years. Galleria Shops

4. In addition to the details provided here foodle, I’ll also introduce you online. This is a very nice list of the games I’ve played, which includes some of my all-time favorites and most well-known titles. another subject. Different games that I bet you’ll like.

5. You have successfully shared a stimulating and educational blog article with all readers retro bowl.

6. Hello, This subject very interesting. thanks for helpfull writing. this article very important and true.
    thanks for helpfull writing. this article very important and true.
    Stand ve Sehpalar

7. Hello! It’s truly enjoyable to communicate with you here. Your shared thoughts are interesting and thought-provoking.
    Reading this information from different perspectives is a pleasure for me.
    I would always like to follow your meaningful and positive contributions. Have a great day!
    Haartransplantatie Turkije

8. This is a really great site. Thanks for your sharing. Burun Ameliyatı

9. Very helpful pos. really like the courses you are offering. really interesting, moto x3m

10. çok güzel ve eğlenceli makaleler :Yeni Medya

11. çok güzel sözler, pek güzel sözler, twit sözler, instagram sözleri, facebook sözleri : Gelecekten.Net

12. Hydra Market is a database sharing and marketplace forum. We have exclusive database breaches and leaks plus an active marketplace. hydra forums

13. Join me in the run 3 game; it’s a globally popular game and becoming a member of this community is extremely simple.

14. Memories can be different. But to avoid worrying about the success of your business, you can take advantage of hassle-free business loans https://www.gofundshop.com/usa/montana/, which will make the path to expansion and growth much easier. Realizing that financial support is available can make all the difference in planning for a future venture.

15. This is truly a great post. Thanks for your ideas. bodytite