By Marielle Gutierrez

Mass. Memories Road Show event layout (pre-pandemic). Photo courtesy of Mass. Memories Road Show and University Archives & Special Collections, Healey Library, UMass Boston.

Mass. Memories Road Show (MMRS) is a statewide, event-based participatory digital archiving program that documents people, places, and events in Massachusetts history through family photographs and stories.* I have been lucky enough to work with this organization as a public history intern. They do amazing work and I am so happy to have played a part in helping the organization grow and expand in the public history world.

The first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic hit right when I was seeking internship opportunities for the fall. Understandably, the pandemic suddenly limited the range and availability of internships. Most cultural organizations had to suddenly switch gears to remote work, which often meant learning new technology, and creating new programs and priorities, all of which put enormous strain on already-taxed staff. I was very fortunate that the MMRS moved quickly to reimagine their program and welcomed help to bring the participatory archival project into the (digital) public history sphere. They conceived the internship as entirely remote, which was crucial for me since I relocated back home to California because of the pandemic.

Technology was crucial in supporting my work on this project. I have learned that it is 100% possible to work with people thousands of miles away and still produce a meaningful product—one that expands community histories by shining a light on its residents’ personal histories. Overall, email, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom have all contributed to my success. They have helped me communicate with people throughout the course of my internship. Although it was not without its own difficulties—I did find challenges in communicating efficiently to set up meetings (the bicoastal time difference played a role in this), and we all had technology challenges from time to time.    

Archival repositories face challenges in making their collections meaningful and accessible to the public. As an intern with MMRS, I was tasked with identifying ways to contextualize and interpret MMRS (and other) collections, and to suggest some answers to the question: what happens after the Road Show? I undertook research to discover how digital collecting projects have used the materials they have collected. Collecting this data suggested ways that the MMRS can use their materials to create walking tours, (in-person and digital) exhibits, and publish stories in print and via podcast, to name a few examples. My work will be used to create MMRS’s Roadmap to Participatory Archiving—a guide that teaches institutions how to create participatory archiving events and what to do afterwards.

Promotional design for the 2020 Malden Mass. Memories Stuck-at-Home Show. Photo courtesy of Mass. Memories Road Show and University Archives & Special Collections, Healey Library, UMass Boston.

My internship has also allowed me to pilot an example that showcases contextualization and interpretation of community-collected archival materials. In this, I have been working with the Malden Stuck-at-Home Show Collection—resulting from a remote Road Show created for the people of Malden to safely share their archivable materials during the pandemic. The Malden stakeholders in this project have graciously allowed me write and publish four profiles in Malden’s online newspaper, Neighborhood View, about four of the participants and their submitted photos.

Logo of the online newspaper Neighborhood View—a newspaper that focuses on Malden stories told by citizen journalists. The newspaper is run by Malden Access Television. Photo courtesy of Neighborhood View’s website: https://neighborhoodview.org.

To prepare these profiles, I researched the city of Malden’s history, examined the participants’ photos to understand the stories they found important, designed interview questions, and corresponded with the participants to schedule interviews and invite them to share their story via a feature in Neighborhood View.

My internship with the Road Show also gave me the opportunity to try out social media advertising—something very new, but of growing interest, to me. I have learned that it is not easy work; it requires identifying the perfect marketing picture, in this case a submitted MMRS photo, and writing a few sentences that share that reveal the contributor’s story, the MMRS’s mission, and, most importantly, capture the audience’s attention. It is a fun and creative way to get community histories out into the world.

I have found it very rewarding to bring an archives event into the public history world by sharing these everyday stories. This internship has opened my eyes to the importance and value of community histories, which focus on the contributions of “ordinary people” to history. Their stories deserve to be told, preserved, and shared.

*All submitted material to MMRS is scanned and uploaded to https://openarchives.umb.edu (take a look!).