Kenya Heart and Sole

The Afya Njema Project

Bridie Curran

| 0 comments

My name is Bridie Curran and I am a lifelong resident in Southeastern, MA.  I graduated from Bristol Community College in 2006 with an AA in liberal arts with a strong focus in sociological courses.  In 2010 I graduated UMass Dartmouth with a BS in Psychology, and then transferred into the UMB BSN program.  I have worked for 12 years at a non-profit working with adults with developmental disabilities in the community.  Over the years I have also worked as a CNA in long-term care facilities, with teenagers in state care and with children and adolescents with brain injury and/or autism spectrum disorder.  I have also worked for years with grassroots organizations fighting for greater equality through proposals for funding various programs, preventing cuts to services, uniting communities and improving individual participation in political and community teambuilding.

My background works well with my philosophy that individuals all individuals are unique yet share common desires and needs and every individual is valuable.  I believe in building stronger communities through teamwork, inclusion, and acceptance of individual differences balanced by commonalities.  I strongly believe that access to healthcare is a human right and that we should all work towards a more egalitarian society by focusing on individual strengths and working together building on common interests.  I find hard work to be rewarding, and working with people to be a privilege.

My interests include learning about different cultures, languages, religions, politics, customs and geography.  I enjoy traveling and meeting new people.  I enjoy bird watching, nature and spending quality time with friends and family.  I am generally outgoing and upbeat and try to find the beauty of wherever I currently stand.  I look forward to participating in the KHAS project and feel this is an opportunity of a lifetime.  I am eager to meet the team of individuals that I have been given the privilege of working with throughout the coming months.  Stay happy and healthy!