GCU-UMass Boston Exchange Blog

Reflection

| 0 comments

Now that I am back from Scotland, and the jet lag has almost subsided, I can finally reflect on my Scotland adventures. Beyond the basic differences in our language, such as calling fries “chips”, Glasgow is actually very similar to Boston. I remember landing after an overnight flight and thinking to myself that it felt like I had never left.

Throughout the week, I was able to attend classes at GCU. The largest lecture hall was less than one third of the size of Lipke, and their class sizes are significantly smaller. They were learning about basic biology, including topics such as the immune system, white blood cells and Punnett squares. Being able to attend an organic chemistry lecture was especially interesting. I absolutely loved attending GCU, as well as becoming close friends with the amazing hosting team. I am seriously considering returning to Scotland to take more classes.

Some of the biggest difficulties I had to deal with was not attending their school or balancing work back home, it was actually learning to use Scottish pounds and adjusting to the jet lag. Not used to using coins very often in America, Scotland has a one pound coin that I used very frequently. The jet lag prevented me from having an appetite at certain times of the day when the Scottish students were having lunch or dinner.

I had never expected to become so close with the hosting team in just one week, but saying goodbye was devastating. Adieu for now, Scotland! Enjoy one last vlog about the last day and the flight home: