CS187

FSC Seminar (fall)

Email requirements

My email address is potasznik@cs.umb.edu. This forwards to amanda.potasznik@umb.edu, which is where you may get replies from.

CS and IT majors, as well as almost every working person in the United States, send several emails a day.

People who receive your emails draw conclusions from your emailing style. Writing coherent messages is especially important when emailing a boss or potential employer, but also goes a long way with professors and coworkers.

Here is a summary of do’s and don’ts when sending emails at Umass Boston and beyond:

NO

bad

This email is in sorry shape. If it isn’t sent from a UMB address, I won’t even know who sent it. There is no greeting, no closing… well, no message at all. When I’m deciding to accept late homework, this email is very discouraging and I am tempted to disregard it. It’s nothing personal against the student – it’s just terrible business etiquette that needs some pointers.

YES

better

Sure, this email took a few extra moments to write, but it makes all the difference. As the recipient, I know exactly what is going on and am encouraged to help this organized student by accepting late work.

Don’t let sloppy emails hurt your goals!
AP