The Art of Archives

UMass Boston || English 600 || Spring 2015 || Prof. Erin Anderson

Month: March 2015 (page 1 of 3)

Blog Post #7: Image, Materiality, and Affect

Create a very short (less than 30-second) video from an even shorter (less than 5-second) clip of found video footage. OR make some other appropriative intervention of your own design into a found footage or “archival” clip of your choice.

See Martin Arnold “Alone. Life Wastes Andy Hardy”  and Dara Birnbaum’s “Technology/Transformation: Wonder Woman” for inspiration.

Upload your video experiment to YouTube or Vimeo and embed it in your post. Write a brief reflection considering your practice in conversation with this week’s reading/viewing materials.

“Where Were You, All These Years?”: Time and Space

The Voyagers in particular, of the appropriation footage films we’ve watched, collapses and simultaneously heightens the difference between “then” and “now.”

That might be a controversial statement. Obviously, the newness of audiovisual material in our cultural history means that – for now — most of the found or archival footage is going to be from within a single generation, featuring scenes which also exist in living cultural memory; there are probably people still alive from some portions of No More Road Trips? albeit probably rarer from the very earliest clips, and similarly there are still those alive from the era portrayed in The Maelstrom (although less than there were twenty years ago during that film’s creation.) And in fact the latter is one of the examples Barron uses for discussing the ironic distance that archival footage produces: the footage is “‘too close to home’ in both a literal and figurative sense […] we share in the same context of modernity.” (40)

But what to do then when the footage is even closer to home? One of the things that catches me about The Voyagers, especially in light of “the experience of the archive effect – as it occurs through the perception of temporal and/or intentional disparity” (29) is its concern with the temporal, and with the temporary: with the almost absurd temporality the audience is required to wrap their heads around, both the brevity of time and, paradoxically, its vastness.

Immediately after telling Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan’s love story from the launch in 1977, filmmaker Penny Lane inserts herself into the narrative in 1996: “I remember when Carl Sagan died. I was in high school. I guess you were in college.” Most of the film later, she muses on the visionary idealism of the Golden Record: “I wish I had lived in that time. It’s hard to imagine the Golden Record being made now.” This is the bizarre crux of the temporal issues of this film: the tension – the distance – between the portion of the story Penny personally remembers and uses as a way to daydream about her partner, and the portion that seems to her impossibly distant, is only a matter of only decades.

And that vast difference is marked perhaps by Carl Sagan’s particular lifetime (“I wish Carl Sagan were here…”), or maybe instead by the Challenger explosion that seems to serve as a “major temporal break” (Baron 40) at least as presented by the film: the dead silence around the sixth minute, the pause to play the familiar footage, the clip which shows a NASA(?) staffer stare in shocked silence before demanding that the cameras be cut. (We don’t see – can’t see — whether they are; within the context of the documentary, the film keeps moving.) Regardless, the “history” of the film seems compactly close to its personal memory and the present moment.

The distance between 1977 and 1996 (or even 1977 and 1986) seems immense here: one is a distant past and the other is a remembered experience. This is almost a hyper-temporal experience – what are its effects? One is to emphasize the brevity of life, the rapidity of change; the human lifespan being so short especially in comparison to the vastness of the universe, to the “thousand billion years” of cosmic time, which is just as much a timeline at play in this documentary.

But The Voyagers is a love story, too, and Carl and Ann have an answer to that: the sense of luckiness they had in an atheistic universe, “that fate could be so kind; that we could find one another in the vastness of space, the immensity of time.” By paying such loving attention to the temporal details of the space movement over a few decades of the 20th century, and situating it within the vast cosmic scales of time (the Voyager probes which are still traveling and their Golden Records which could stay intact for millions of years), the vastness of time is emphasized in counterpoint with the absolute importance, nevertheless, of the particular human moment. This is the heart, we seem to think by the movie’s end, of any love story: that it is impossible to know what will happen, but “why not try? Why not reach for something amazing?”

And if this reads as too optimistic, well, I’ll leave with Lane’s thoughts on the Golden Record: “Some people have criticized this, but I’m glad they did it that way. That’s what it’s like to look at the thing you love most. That’s why it’s a valentine.”

Penny Lane’s The Voyagers (2010): a Love Letter

Baron’s concept of the “appropriation film” allows for a relational friction that seems to be what makes a film like Penny Lane’s The Voyagers (2010) successful, or at the least unexpected. It’s not just the figure(s) of the Voyagers supplying the metaphorical framework as well as temporally locating the actual NASA/space/Sagan footage of the film, but the incorporation of more “home mode” images that seem to build layers of complexity. Screen shot from Voyagers This complexity creates, of course, the space for the romantic narrative, but also recontextualizes the mission of the Voyagers—they are as lane suggests: “fearless,” and “seeking.” Their hopeful journey which hadn’t been expected to last more than two years has now an indefinite end, and those golden records and their techno-steel containers will far outlast the life of the Earth.

While the narrative aspect of the film makes relatively clear the temporal and intentional disparities at work, what Baron has to say about the viewer’s struggle to discern these two elements in response to an appropriation film is particularly useful:

When temporal and intentional disparity are uncertain, the viewer is faced with a constant struggle around how much authority to give the indexical recording. This struggle is crucial to our understanding of history, because it both depends upon and determines what we give the status of archival—and, thus, historical evidence. (30)

Lane is using “archival” footage from the mid-1980’s to make a film in 2010. (Though interestingly according to this interview in The Atlantic her project began by ordering a collection of VHS tapes on eBay.) And the appropriated footage of the space program, Carl Sagan, and the beautiful while potenitally banal boardwalk/coastal images used in the film are in fact about the miraculous risk of love—Lane’s personal voyage—rather than something more universally historic, or so it would seem.

Screen Shot Voyagers-3Screen shot Voyagers-2Screen shot Voyagers-4

This blend of the “archival” launch sequences (particularly the tragic Challenger explosion) and space walks, and “little-blue-marble” shots, with Sagan and school children and with the more “home mode” shot, for example of a phone booth, unexpectedly create a portrait of what it takes to love—a very universal experience. Screen shot Voyagers-7

The balance of footage from these various sources, according to Baron, “allow[s] us to experience a sense of continuity with or contiguity across different temporal and intentional—or historical and social—contexts, or to experience the sense that “our” context “here and now” and “their” context “there and then” may be extremely similar” (43). Screen shot Voyagers-6

Baron goes on to suggest that “when we feel that we share the same context across time and space, we are charged with a moral responsibility towards those “others” to whose traces we bear witness” (43). Here, the image of the Challenger as a bisecting plume of exhaust offers the other side of that risk game, simultaneously connecting and tearing apart unfathomable despair with unimaginable optimism. The distant, terrifying, and reverent silence that Lane employs acknowledges that moral responsibility. And since Voyagers was made almost like a wedding vow, could there be the possibility that the temporality of that sense of responsibility might reach into the future, not just the present viewing of the past archival image?

The Obscure Boundary of Public Display and Private Life

Baron’s The Archive Effect has kept me considering something about the home mode movies of both audiovisual archive and private collection senses. On page 82, Baron defines the effects of home mode movies as “…the presence of such documents in appropriation films may represent a democratizing of history and contribute to public knowledge about or experience of past events by including traces of otherwise unknown individuals into histories that previously accounted only for those who held the most social and political power”. This definition, I think, exactly describes the meaning and the function of home mode documents. It also reminds me of the concept of reformulating these home mode documents with the sense of temporal disparity. In this sense, instead of being narrated officially and authoritatively as traditional archives, it is true that the footage and audiovisual appropriations, recording individual’s daily lives in the simple ways, not only reveal the democratic spirits but also visualize the life and society in the past.

Many now use smartphones or cameras to record their lives for various purposes, but once those private movies made by themselves are debunked in public no matter with or without their will, I think there will be some certain ethical issues even though the movies are just used by the professionals for academic or archival purpose. Baron also raised a similar question: “What are the ethical implications of using home mode documents in public texts?” (82). I think it’s hard to answer. Obviously, these footage and appropriations are precious and valuable for us to look back in public texts, but it also involves privacy problems and seems like “a voyeuristic peek into other people’s private lives”. Thus, the status of home mode documents will definitely change when they appear in different texts.

Another thing I’m also considering is how to understand properly while watching appropriation films, like The Maelstrom: A Family Chronicle. Someone may feel a little bit confused about what is going on, if he or she barely has a good knowledge of the history in 1930s. I have no idea whether someone else feels this way, but I do. It seems like when watching the more authoritative archival films, say, BBC documentaries, I  usually have a fairly clear purpose for what I am watching, why I watch these or what I am supposed to do after watching, but after watching The Maelstrom: A Family Chronicle, I am a little lost. Baron discusses the“video confession”, a kind of appropriated confessional video footage, which may present more complex human emotions. I’m curious about the reaction by somebody who watch it. Will he or she feel lost as I do? I assume these reactions, such as getting lost, feeling nervous or awkward, are probably parts of archival voyeurism.

The term “unruliness” is reiterated in the outset of this book, I can’t help thinking that is there any boundaries between the private footage collection and the archival appropriations? Is it necessary that some rules be established to make a clear distinction between the private and the public? If so, what will happen to the footage and audiovisual experiences in terms of archival effect?

The Disruption of the Sublime to Temporal Disparity

“The Voyagers” is a beautiful short film by Penny Lane (that may or may not have made me cry a bit) in which we can find playfulness with many elements discussed in The Archive Effect. Here, however, I will focus on her creation of the archive effect through the use of temporal disparity through vocalization, rather than visualization, as is primarily discussed by Baron. Furthermore, I will explore the possible complication of Lane’s film to Baron’s presentation of temporal disparity in appropriation films.

Temporal disparity, defined by Baron as “the perception by the viewer of an appropriation film of a ‘then’ and ‘now’ generated within a single text” (18), is vacant from the visual elements of the film as all clips seem to emerge exclusively from the 80s. The sense of “then” and “now” is, rather, solely present in Lane’s voiceover of the short film, wherein she marks certain scenes with years—the Challenger disaster in 1986, etc.—and makes reference to “today” in contrast to the time of the creation of the golden disk in 1970s.
VoyagerCover.jpg_2

This vocal differentiation between what is being viewed and the present, which is being confronted by the voiceover, as well as the frequent indexing, cultivates the archive effect in relation to the viewed documents. Beyond the past-tense reference to the clips of the film, and a frequent shift into the variances of the world as we now know it creating the “then” of the past and the “now” of the relative present, Lane extends Baron’s idea of temporal disparity to include a future “then.” While there is no way to present a picture of the future world to which Lane refers—where the sun has burnt up the world and the Voyagers continue on for billions of years—the lack of this footage is irrelevant since the “then” and “now” of the past and present in the text are likewise solely presented through its vocality. Thus, Lane takes us to the future, a place apart from both the past of the footage and the present of her words, through the experience of viewers’ imaginations.

Interestingly, alongside these words of a distant time when the golden record remains floating in possibility without the existence of humanity behind it, Lane presents footage taken by the Voyagers of the deep expanse of space beyond Earth. This footage, presumably (by the matching quality of the film and the pattern of the rest of the footage) taken in the 80s, or the “then” past of the text, reflects what the same expanse of space looked like in the 80s, presently, and would look like in the vocal future of the text, when the Sun has scorched the Earth.
Screen shot 2015-03-26 at 12.18.38 AM
In this, the “then” of the past, “now” of the present, and “then” of the future that create the temporal disparity of the film and contribute to the working of the archive effect, coincide in a sublime moment where the temporal disparity of human life and time found throughout the film is disrupted by the comprehension that the nearly static existence of the great stretches of space exist(ed) in the “then,” “now,” and “then,” but in temporal similarity rather than disparity.

While this intrigues me, I’m not sure what to make of this understanding in relation to its implications on the archive effect. If the temporal disparity is complicated by a simultaneous temporality of sorts, such as we see in the footage of space, does the archive effect become capable of encompassing the nostalgia of temporal disparity as well as the sublimity of temporal similarity?

How Temporal Disparity Creates an Air of the Archive in Penny Lane’s The Voyagers

In her Vimeo bio, Penny Lane identifies her short film, The Voyagers, as one of her “short experimental films.” Her biography also remarks that she often creates “essay films” in addition to documentaries. In the description of the film itself, Lane defines the The Voyagers as a love letter to her (then future) husband. These carefully worded introductions seem to place The Voyagers in the “found footage” category on the “archival footage” / “found footage” binary that Jaimie Baron breaks down and complicates through the analysis of the ways in which these two black-and-white footage categories no longer suit appropriation films. In my personal experience of watching The Voyagers, the heart-felt narrative spared me of viewing this “love letter” with the same critical analysis with which I might typically approach a documentary. My objective eye seemed less important to tasks such as locating the time of each clip regarding the launches of Voyager 1 and Voyager 2.

Despite the “experimental film” label, I did experience various levels of “realness” while watching this short film. The clips of the space ship launches, the NASA staff at their computers and desks, the reactions during press conferences, and Carl Sagan’s speeches in the school classroom and on other films all appeared historical to me in a way that the clips of rides at Coney Island and somewhat context-less images such as planet Earth as viewed from space or a telephone dangling from its wire did not. One reason I perceived these spacecraft and Carl Sagan clips as appearing more historical than the Coney Island clips was a result of temporality. With pale color and grainy composition, the clips from the 1970s actually appeared older.

This materiality alone most likely would not have created the gradations of “realness” that I experienced as a viewer. In The Archive Effect, Jaimie Baron argues “what makes footage read as ‘archival’ is, first of all, the effect within a given film generated by the juxtaposition of shots perceived as produced at different moments in time” (17). Had these clips of the spaceship launches not appeared alongside clean, crisp, more saturated footage of Coney Island and our solar system, the appropriated 1970s clips would not appeared “archival” to me. The intention of the film to serve as a love letter, not a documentary, and the narration and sound effects that support Lane’s personal intention, could have effectively removed The Voyagers from the possibility of interpreting the “experimental short film” as “archival,” but these pieces of footage appear distinctly archival when the “‘temporal disparity,’ the perception by the viewer of an appropriation film of a ‘then’ and a ‘now’ generated within a single text” is taken into account (18).

While it’s hard to separate my perceived temporality of the 1970s footage from the materiality of that footage, my reception of the clips of the twin spacecraft launches illustrates Baron’s point that “certain documents from the past—whether found in an official archive, a family basement, or online—may be imbued by the viewer with various evidentiary values as they are appropriated and repurposed in new films” (7). While the assumed historical nature of the Voyager 1 and 2 launches doesn’t alter my perception that the use-value of The Voyagers is an emotional one, personal to Penny Lane and offered to the public as an “authentic” experience, the footage of Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 appear archival if only in their material presence as a record from the past. This leads me to the questions: How does materiality influence a viewer’s definition of “archival footage” and play into what Baron calls the archive effect?

The Ambiguity of Intentional Disparity and the Interpretive Audience

Prelinger’s choice of audience discussion over a traditional voiceover narrative or soundtrack draws attention to a complication of the “intentional disparity” discussed by Baron. It is not possible upon viewing No More Road trips? to absolutely define Prelinger’s intentions. Without narrative, the meaning of the film is ambiguous, it “suggests a form of irony that does not just ‘reverse’ meaning, but rather puts it in question indefinitely” (Baron, 36). This disparity—one of the necessities of the archive effect—is further complicated by the presence of Prelinger himself. In class we watched the movie with minimal information about the film. We may have read Prelinger’s blog post about the film, or we may not have. On his blog he has specific questions that he wants him film to explore, such as: “Are we approaching “peak travel?” Is localism, which is a pretty good thing in many ways, edging out the nomadic tradition in America? Will we be staying put more than we have in the past? And if so, how will we react to diminished horizons? Is it possible that the journey TO America, which so many new Americans have made in recent years, might become a more significant part of our shared consciousness than the journey WITHIN America?” (Prelinger blog). These questions show Prelinger’s intention of the production of this film that is distant from the original intention of collecting home movies to document road trips.

But how important is the author when there is no narrative? If this film were to stand alone without any framing by Prelinger, there may be very different perceptions of what this film’s intentions are. Does it document American travel?  The changes in fashion? In architecture? In automobile design? Even with Prelinger’s framing, the film seems to be distant from him. Without an explicit narrative there appears to be no author—there is, then, a third disparity: a disparity between the author’s intention and the intentions perceived by the audience. This sort of ambiguity effectively elides the author from the film. Yes, the home movies were clearly placed in order by someone—but if there is no explicit intent, then it is possible that the document was found in that order.

The danger of this ambiguity of authorial intention is that the film could be seen as a document rather than a documentary or an appropriation film. It would appear that nothing was altered. Baron notes that, to a degree, this depends on the audience: “if the viewer does not perceive this difference, as a difference within the text, the archive effect will not occur and the text will remain a document. Not a documentary and not an appropriation film”. Prelinger makes one other choice in order to avoid the confusion of his film with a document: he chooses the venues where his film is shown.

When discussing Jones’ choice to show his film, Tearoom, in only “unalienated” settings, Baron defines the term “unalientated” as “contexts in which it will be regarded through a critical lens” (Baron, 33). Similarly, Perlinger does not just post his film online—he makes sure to send his film to events where discussion will be possible. Intention is dictated by the environment where the film is shown. It privileges the collective interpretation of the audience over the author and avoids the classification of the film as document. The archive effect, then, is dependent on the audience and the environment rather than textual narrative or extra-textual knowledge of the individual.

What does this show us? This does exhibit a very clever way or removing the dictatorial control of the author and creating a democratic interpretation. Yet Prelinger still has the power to choose where and how he shows his film. I think this also points to the yearning for an open and public archive. Prelinger plays between document and appropriation film in order to realize a certain democratic influence that the institutional archive has been without. It is not totally democratic, but it does reach for that ideal.

Reusing digital media from the internet on television for entertainment

There were many ways that Baron discussed pre-existing audiovisual footage being reused for movies and documentaries, but I found some of Baron’s arguments interesting when applied to some television shows. The chapter on archival voyeurism was especially interesting in applying to today’s television shows that appropriate and recontexualize existing videos from the internet for the show’s own entertainment purposes. In most cases, the clips shown on these tv shows “carry traces of another intention with them and seem to resist, at least to some degree, the intentions” (Baron, 25) imposed on them. On “Tosh.0” the host, Daniel Tosh, takes video clips from the internet and re-contextualizes them for his own comedy routine, though the original clips may not have ever been intended for entertainment or comedy.

Most of these clips are amateur home videos that show people being unexpectedly “comically” injured, including one of a girl dressed for prom who falls down the stairs, all captured on video. Some of them are embarrassing home shot music videos, people performing stunts, etc. (essentially anything that Tosh can find on the internet to use for comedic material.) In a regular segment of the show titled “Web Redemption,” Daniel Tosh invites the “humiliated” people featured in these viral videos on to his show, so that they may explain their embarrassing online videos and reshoot/recreate the scene. If you’ve never seen the show, other regular segments on the show include “Guess What Happens Next,” “Is it Racist?” and another segment in which Tosh tries to come up with as many funny comments as possible about one clip within 20 seconds. As you can imagine “Is It Racist?” raises a number of ethical concerns about the use of these video clips for entertainment purposes…)

Last night I happened to be watching Tosh.0 while thinking about the issues raised by Baron, and a clip of a funeral was featured on the show. A home video of a funeral is not something I ordinarily expect to see while watching this show on Comedy Central, and a funeral is not something I expect people to film anyway. The clip shows the casket being lowered into the grave, but the casket falls over. I am not absolutely sure, but it looked as though either someone else was pulled into the grave, or that the body inside fell out of the coffin. I assume the latter is what happened because a woman attending the burial then promptly faints in the background of the clip. It was clear that this clip was not ever intended for this usage, and that this audience was never intended to view this clip. Daniel Tosh offers his live audience and at home audience of Tosh.O “the pleasure of seeing something we were never ‘meant’ to see – and may come with an ethical price” (Baron, 82).

This particular clip raised ethical concerns for myself as a viewer, and definitely was “fundamentally and unavoidable voyeuristic” (Baron, 82). I felt conflicted about the show’s recontextualization of this clip for comedic purposes and felt confident that the “intentionality of the footage is that the maker probably never imagined that it would be shown in public,” (Baron, 89) let alone on a cable television show in this “comedic” context. It’s inclusion in this show in for comedic purposes did not, in fact, hold any entertainment value for myself. I’m sure there were other viewers who may have found this funny, but then we certainly don’t share the same sense of humor or ethical code. More than usual with other clips featured on this show, I felt like I was “trespassing” and “entering and appropriating a private space uninvited – or at least a private space into which we possibly should not have been invited” (Baron, 95). In this case, this was a “misuse” of found footage that likely should not be used for entertainment or comedic purposes. The public availability and accessibility of digital media on the internet raises many ethical concerns, especially when the footage can and likely will be reused in what could be considered inappropriate or insensitive ways.

The Unresistedness of Voyeuristic Pleasure in Watching Home Mode Appropriations

It seems rather a common experience for modern viewers to have so many accesses to the home mode appropriations in the age of mass media. Sometimes we just cannot resist the desire to go to the movie theatre and see a film telling a story of someone we have no knowledge of in our former times. Meditating on the archive effect of home mode documents, Baron argues that “the interest we may have in such documents as they appear in appropriation films is also fundamentally and unavoidably voyeuristic—offering us the pleasure of seeing something we were not “meant” to see—and may come with an ethical price.” (82) This kind of voyeuristic pleasure really causes me to think about the relationship between the viewers and the performers in a home mode appropriation film. I am also eager to find out the reasons that lead to this voyeuristic pleasure in watching somebody else’s history.

One thing that comes up to mind when I am thinking about voyeuristic pleasure is the position of both viewers and actors or performers. Actually we should not, in a strict sense, use “actors” to describe those who perform in the home mode appropriations, because they are not acting for us as viewers but acting for their family members in front of the camera. But they are, as the home documents have been appropriated into a film, being watched by us, those who are not supposed to watch it. The different position of “watching” and “being watched” certainly distributes different kinds of power between them as performers and us as viewers. As we are watching the Jews going to have a picnic in the fields, travelling to Paris, or making a ceremony of marriage, we as viewers are watching their stories and certainly not being watched by them. So there is obviously this inequality between the power of them and the power of us. We know for sure their final destiny as long as we have some former knowledge about modern history. Before we go to the ending of the film, we already know what is waiting around the corner. We have every superiority beyond them as innocent performers having no sense what is becoming of them. We, as viewers, feel that we are assuming the position of “God”, anticipating their tragic fate beforehand. Getting on the upper hand of this field, we are quietly waiting the last moment to unclose everything to these performers who are in the dark. It is kind of like a person of modern age, taking a time travel machine to the past, having all the wisdom of the trend of history, and watching the people beside him in a position of superiority. As those beside him are worrying about problems of their age, he, as a person of all the sagacity of time, watches them with all the disinterestedness and detachment. The moment one assumes the position of detachment, one has already taken the position of superiority. So are the viewers in watching an old home mode appropriation film.

One thing that also contributes to the drive of watching a home mode appropriation film lies in the feeling of comfort from the viewers. For most of the times, the tragic home mode appropriation films seem to arouse more feelings from the viewers than those happy ones. As a good saying goes in Anna Karenina, “Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” Happy moments in the family archives are sort of like the same while the most frustrating and the most tragic moments can touch us to the deep of ourselves. It also reminds me of something like bad news travel even faster than the good ones. We love to see and to hear the tragic moments of others though we really feel sorry for them and give our pities to them. But the moment we lament over their unhappiness, we are no longer seeing them as our equals. Instead, we feel our superiority over them. This is, in my opinion, one of the reasons that cause the voyeuristic pleasure of viewers. When we are seeing the Jews being persecuted by the policies of Nazi, we seek our private comforts from our own families in our own circumstances. We, at least, have the rights to live in this world, but they don’t. We can go camping or whatever in the outside, but they are confined to their house roof. It is kind of like the time one hears a bad news from others, one gives his pity as well as seeks his own comfort from his own situation of not being a victim of such an accident. Since we are necessarily members of our own families, the time we see those similar domestic settings in a home mode appropriation, we tend to recall the details of our own. When we see how the family in the film has gone through a great number of hardships, we feel relieved that we have narrowly escaped such tragedy by our own. The more the settings are familiar to us, the more we will enter into the context of the film and receive our reliefs that hopefully we are not the unlucky guys in that film.

Blog Post #6: Archival Appropriation

Take a question or idea that arises in the first half of Jaimie Baron’s The Archive Effect and use it to think through some element of the appropriation films we’ve watched for class: No More Road Trips? (Prelinger, 2013), The Maelstrom: A Family Chronicle (Forgács, 1997) or The Voyagers (Lane, 2010). If you want to bring in other examples from outside of class, that’s great too!

Older posts

© 2024 The Art of Archives

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑