Education for Service

Forever Boston State

Boston State Coach Eddie Barry, Cofounder of Codfish Bowl, Built a Hockey Showcase

| 10 Comments

by Marvin Pave

View Article at Boston.com>

The Codfish Bowl, the second-oldest invitational college hockey tournament in the country, was started in 1965 by Boston State College’s first and only hockey and golf coach, Needham resident Eddie Barry, and its athletic director, the late Gus Sullivan.

“We already had the Beanpot and at the time, college hockey was just two divisions, large and small schools, so it was a chance to showcase teams like ours,’’ recalled Barry, 93, an inaugural inductee to the University of Massachusetts Boston Athletic Hall of Fame in 2003.

“So with Boston being the home of the bean and the cod, that’s how we named it.’’

Barry’s team won the first Codfish Bowl, held at Boston Arena (now Northeastern’s Matthews Arena) by defeating Ohio State, 4-3, in overtime and Salem State, 5-3, in the championship game.

Barry, who developed Boston State into a hockey power during his tenure from 1962-1982 before its merger with UMass Boston, is a New England sports icon.

One of Wellesley High’s greatest athletes and a Northeastern Hall of Famer, Barry played for the Bruins in the 1940s. A beloved member at Charles River Country Club in Newton since 1957, he won 12 club championships and numerous senior amateur titles.

“My first game for the Bruins was at Boston Garden against the Chicago Blackhawks and just about everybody I knew was in the stands,’’ said Barry, whose playing days were cut short by an elbow injury. He later coached the Boston Olympics farm team as a prelude to his college coaching career.

“I still get calls and letters from my players at Boston State,’’ he said, “and knowing them, and knowing the Codfish Bowl is still held, is very special to me.’’

10 Comments

1. 48 years of the Codfish Bowl and still going strong. Hockey is a great sport, whether watching the NHL or at the college level.

2. UMass Boston is one of only 170 designated high activity research universities in the nation. This is a good univerity world of mario

3. I enjoy reading blogs where I get information that adds to my knowledge, and now I’m going to tell you about Chicago Cubs Blue and White Varsity Jacket fashion this season.

4. Eddie Barry’s legacy in founding the Codfish Bowl resonates with the enduring spirit of New England sports. His impact on hockey and the community is a testament to the rich history of athletic traditions. Discovering such tales while contemplating an Amazon FBA side hustle adds a touch of inspiration to both entrepreneurial endeavors and the timeless lore of regional sports.

5. SY0-701 Dumps Questions refer to a set of practice exam materials designed to help individuals prepare for the CompTIA Security+ (SY0-701) certification exam. These dumps contain a compilation of questions and answers that cover the key topics and objectives outlined in the SY0-701 exam syllabus. Aspiring IT professionals and cybersecurity enthusiasts often use these dumps as a supplementary resource to enhance their understanding of security concepts, assess their knowledge, and simulate the exam environment.

It’s important to note that relying solely on dumps may not provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter, and practical experience and in-depth study are crucial for success in the certification exam. While dumps can be a useful tool for self-assessment, candidates are encouraged to utilize a variety of study materials, including official CompTIA resources, to ensure a well-rounded and thorough preparation for the SY0-701 exam.

6. Wenn Sie gerne Sexfilme sehen, sind Sie auf unserer Seite herzlich willkommen. milf pornos

7. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so I think it is very useful and knowledgeable.
    Beverly Hills Cop Jacket

8. Hello, I read this nice article. I think You put a best effort to write this perfect article. I appreciate your work. thank you so much.
    Ronny April X Black Leather Coat

9. Mastering Databricks-Certified-Professional-Data-Engineer Questions and Answers is not just about passing an exam; it’s about acquiring valuable skills and insights that will propel your career forward in the ever-evolving field of data engineering.