Lisa DeAngelis, Director

UMass Boston | College of Management | Center for Collaborative Leadership

Cultural Competency – not just about diversity and nationality

| 0 comments

Recently I organized a cultural competency session for a group of emergent leaders in various industries in Greater Boston. I was not the facilitator, so luckily I had the opportunity to listen and learn along with the attendees. I already knew that culture had a broader definition than referencing diversity and nationality, but the session gave me pause to reflect upon culture within an organization – particularly given my move from the corporate world to the new planet of academia at a state run university.

While my current role is situated in a university, the center I lead is very much business oriented, and as such, I apply the working style that I have developed in my many years in the private sector. Does that style work here? Not so much. I am bumping up against a vastly different culture. I’m not saying that in a negative way, and this is not a reflection on the institution, rather on my surprise that it took my sitting in this session for the light bulb to go on for me as to why I was struggling.

As one faculty member explained to me, academia is about engaging in a dialogue. Academicians are incredibly cognizant of the historical markers that have led to the current conversation; whatever that conversation is. So, when I am thinking about making a change to the curriculum of a program we run, or adding something new, it’s important that I remember to make time and space to have conversations with key partners that provide the historical context that supports this change.

Another example comes in working with centralized departments. As I mentioned earlier, our center is run like a business. Therefore, my expectation is to get reports and information in a timely fashion to ensure we’re ‘on track.’ Again, it’s important for me to keep two things in mind. First, our center is a very small piece of the work of the university. And, second, the university is not a business – it is an educational institution. Therefore, part of my role is to explain to these key partners what our business model is, and how we work; and, at the same time, be patient and flexible as they work to meet our needs.

The workshop helped me recognize my cultural preferences, and become aware that in order to get things done I needed to take a moment to identify strategies to bridge the cultural differences between departments; in this case, between my preferences and theirs.

So, when you think of culture as nationality or diversity, take a moment to think about the multiple cultures that you are immersed in within the confines of the company that you work for. How does your team/department interact with other departments? Which departments do you work with? How do the relationships vary with the departments? What are the ‘unwritten rules of engagement’?