Lisa DeAngelis, Director

UMass Boston | College of Management | Center for Collaborative Leadership

Wait, what was I supposed to be doing?

| 0 comments

With each passing day it seems as if we are given ever more liberties to be distracted.  We’ve evolved from cell phones to mobile email to texting  – giving the world more access to us,  and us to it.  And, if that weren’t enough, our phones are able to download every imaginable app.  Couple this with the demands we face each day – from work, family, community and ourselves – and you have a recipe for distraction.

It seems crazy to me that we need laws to help individuals understand that texting while driving is a bad combination.  And yet, I was among those who used to take a quick peek at email while sitting at red lights.  Admit it, there is a certain addiction to respond when you hear that bing indicating that you have a new message.

Several years ago I had a wonderful mentor, a senior executive at a prominent global organization, who shared that she did not check email at night or on weekends.  Her team knew that if there was an emergency they could reach her by cell phone, otherwise whatever was happening could be addressed during normal business hours.  This was one method she used to ensure that when she was not at work, she was focusing on the other aspects of her life.

I have also seen an executive ban electronics from meetings.  This was not your typical “please turn the device to silent” only to slyly glance at it under the table when you think no one is looking, request.  This dictum had the participants leaving their devices in their office.  This was his approach to making certain that employees were engaged in the topic at hand.

Studies show that we are healthier, happier, and more productive when we are able to focus.   

Having recently started to feel the effects of being pulled in too many directions, I’ve begun to implement a few baby steps to eliminate distractions.

• I deleted all but one game app from my phone.  The one that remains is the one that I play with my husband – a fun way to stay connected when we’re not together.
  • The only noise my phone makes is when I receive a text or phone call.
  • Blocking time on my calendar to work on things that require concentration.

How do you deal with this?