John Hancock MLK Summer Scholars and George Foreman III

George Foreman III, the son of former two-time heavyweight champion George Foreman, is an American boxer, business executive, and television personality. On August 7, 2014, I got the opportunity to meet George Foreman III at Boston University’s Agganis Arena as part of the John Hancock MLK Summer Scholars’ curriculum. George Foreman III, who was invited to engage in discussion with a crowd of students, started off his speech with greetings and words of inspiration.

Since he is a boxer and entrepreneur, his oration had recurring themes like: standing up for what you believe in, the effects of social media, and how to be a great leader. He explored these subjects by delivering quotes such as:

When you hear something, verify it.

Use your phones and social media profiles for mass construction, not self-destruction.

Are you willing to work without receiving any recognition or gratitude?

Fight for something, fight for yourself, and fight for your followers.

Many students in the audience were motivated by his words and rewarded him with applause. He finished up his discussion by playing a TED talk video about how to start a movement. The video depicted a person dancing in public and the people who gradually followed along, symbolizing that it only takes one individual to make a change.

George Foreman III said to post pictures of things you want your friends to do. So I uploaded the picture with the t-shirt I won from him on Instagram because I wanted my friends to feel like winners with political figures. After I posted the picture, George Foreman III re-posted it on his Instagram page and I felt like it was an accomplishment because I was posting something meaningful.

The best things in life are free, and everyone is a winner.

IMG_8884 (2)

19844161834_8aaf3a98bc_o