The Art of "Quotemanship" and "Misquotemanship"

Quoting people accurately is really hard — and you can quote me on that.

Ask the Actress: Was It Blasphemy or a Misquote or a Purely Honest Spur-of-the-Moment Statement from the Heart??

| 0 comments

Actress Kamna Jethmalani might have used an inappropriate term of endearment for Lord Venkateswara (a form of the Hindu god Vishnu).
Now she is playing both the “misquote” and “out of context” card in her attempts to distance herself from her statement, according to an article in the Deccan Chronicle of 13 April.
She was widely quoted as calling Venkateswara her “boyfriend” after she attended a darshan at Tirumala Hills. Her explanation:

“I was misquoted and my off-the-cuff remark was presented out of contxt. I said that God was like a friend, father and brother to me, but the media blew the friend quote out of proportion.”

The online version of
the article in the Deccan Chronicle of 13 April includes a comment from a fellow actress, Shraddha Das. She was there, evidently. She says, ‘lighten up’, or, more precisely:

“I was with Kamna during the darshan in Tirupati. She becomes a completely different person whenever she visits the temple. She was very elated there. The word ‘boyfriend’ was a slip of the tongue. She meant it as a friendly gesture.”