International Students

Hello to all the UMASS Boston International Students!

I am Smriti, a graduate student pursuing MS in Business Analytics. I have been an International student at UMASS – Boston, and a Commuter Assistant at the Off-Campus Living office for more than a year. You will be seeing my posts a lot on BLOC from now on.

It’s me!

This post is especially for all the first-time International students looking forward to coming to the USA and starting this new and exciting chapter!

What to expect? 

Firstly, It is okay to freak out: It is the truth, let’s face it. Moving to a whole new country can be overwhelming. Finding and moving to an accommodation, unpacking, familiarizing yourself with the local area, a new phone, a bank account, school, supplies…

I have faced all of them like you all are doing right now. Just when I landed in the US, it hit me ‘I am an international student in America, and I am a long way from home.’ But don’t think you are alone; Meeting people is very easy at UMB. UMB is very rich in diversity. When you visit the campus for the first time, you will notice a lot of international students, and they are going through the same thing as you. My suggestion here: as daunting as it may be, the best way to meet new people and make friends is to throw yourselves into as many events and activities as possible.

Important housing information: Searching for housing/accommodation as soon as you get admission is essential. Other questions include: What to do when you find a house of your preference? How much rent and utilities to expect?

Ask for help!!! UMASS Boston has a separate department to guide and help students find accommodation. We got you! Off-Campus Housing Website

Prepare to attend the Orientation week: You can hit the ground running!

Orientation week or welcome week is a great chance to get to know your classmates and get information on upcoming events.

Trust me; this can help you have an active social life during your time in the US, primarily as we don’t have our families here. But guess what? Friends can be your new family!

During the first week, you will have the opportunity to explore our campus and find your bearings. And you will have the chance to be properly introduced to your course, friends, and tutors. Make sure to sign up for a lot of on-campus activities, clubs, and societies so you will get a chance to meet people with common interests.

These are few tips from my experience. Will share a lot more! See you in a bit 🙂