Kenya Heart and Sole

The Afya Njema Project

Ericka Garufi

| 0 comments

Hello! My name is Ericka Garufi. I am a junior at UMass Boston studying to become a nurse. I previously went to Stony Brook University in New York. I have an older sister named Alexandria, a younger sister named Emily, and a puppy named Milah. I have played soccer all my life, including both university teams at Division I program at Stony Brook and now a Division III program at UMass Boston. I enjoy the team camaraderie and teamwork in pursuit of a common goal.

During the summer, I had the opportunity to work at the department of mental health in Boston as an intern. After working closely with people with various mental illnesses I decided to start a new chapter of an organization called Active Minds at UMass Boston. It aims to reduce the stigma and change the conversation surrounding mental health.

My passion for nursing stemmed from volunteering in various places. The first was in a pediatric hematology/oncology unit at Stony Brook Hospital where I recorded over 100 hours. Also, on a study abroad trip to Tanzania I received a service certificate for working at many orphanages. I love reading and doing outdoor activities in the summer such as going to the beach and biking with friends.

After I graduate and receive my nursing license I would like to do international traveling nursing. I like experiencing different cultures and learning new things. My future goals include becoming a family nurse practitioner.

ericka