Kenya Heart and Sole

The Afya Njema Project

Brian Hoell

| 0 comments

I am a nurse practitioner in the Preoperative Testing Clinic at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston Massachusetts. In this clinic we see patients prior to elective surgeries. We perform health histories and health exams and determine if the person can safely receive anesthesia and surgery. I have been with this clinic for 2 years. Prior to that I spent 8 years in Radiation Oncology, working with people undergoing treatment for a variety of cancers. My specialty was prostate cancer and was involved in practice based research trials. I received my masters in nursing in 2001. My first position was in Radiology in a large hospital in Rhode Island. As an RN, starting in 1985, I worked in a variety of nursing positions. This included; in hospital settings, nursing homes, working with children, the mentally handicapped and in psychiatric hospitals. I live in a town outside of boston. I have been married for 27 years and have a daughter 23, sons 21 and 17. I try to stay healthy by running and practicing yoga. My wife and I hike when we can and love to go out and listen to music and to travel. I am a beekeeper along with my son and we keep a few chickens. If I had the room or time I could see myself having a small farm. I am looking forward to being in Kenya and sharing our experiences and making new ones.