International Student and Scholar Services

Get Your Travel Signature!

| 0 comments

As holiday travel quickly approaches, it is time for a travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019! As you know, your I-20 or DS-2019 should be signed every 6 months in order for you to be able to re-enter the US after traveling abroad. At this time of year, ISSS likes to remind students of some very important travel issues and tips.

Visa Renewal

To re-enter the US after traveling abroad, you must have a valid F-1 or J-1 visa. If your visa has expired since the last time you traveled, you will need to make an appointment at your home consulate to get a renewal visa. We recommend that you bring a couple things with you from the University for your renewal appointment; an official transcript and a verification of enrollment letter. You can get both of these things from One Stop or from the Registrar.

You can find your local US Consulate to make an appointment here: http://www.usembassy.gov/

Electronic I-94 Cards

As explained in a previous post, all I-94 cards are now electronic (unless you drive from Canada or Mexico into the US). As an International Student, you are responsible for your status when you re-enter the US. Each time you leave and come back, you should log into the I-94 system to ensure that Customs and Border Patrol has approved you to enter as a STUDENT and not as a tourist or other visa category. Also, it is wise to keep a copy of your electronic I-94 to prove your status if ever asked by law enforcement or if you need to include it in an application to the US government such as for OPT or reinstatement. Please go to https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html when you return to the US to download your new I-94 card. If you cannot access it, you may contact Deferred Inspection at Logan Airport Terminal E to fix the problem.

Travel Signature Request

You can download the Travel Signature Request form or you can pick it up at the ISSS front desk. Please hand it in with your I-20 to be signed and allow 5 BUSINESS DAYS for the signature to be processed. ISSS will NOT do same day or next day signatures so plan ahead!

Safe Travels!