GCU-UMass Boston Exchange Blog

How Scotland changed my life

| 0 comments

Entering UMass Boston in the fall, I never imagined that I would be visiting Scotland and having one of the best experiences of my life. I remember feeling bad about not getting into other schools like Harvard, and now I know that everything happens for  reason. Had I not attended Umass this year I would have not had this amazing opportunity. The people I met in Scotland became life long friends. Having the opportunity to see the educational environment of another country opened my eyes to the many possibilities there are all around the world. Although the order of teaching in definitely different in Scotland, the passion of the students and the ultimate goal is the same; for this reason walking into class did not feel like walking into a strange place, I already felt at home because I was surrounded by people with the same goals as the people in the community here at UMB.

Although the University was the major component of the exchange, there were many other highlights of the trip that will definitely stay with me for ever. The architecture was simply amazing. The old castle like buildings all over Scotland (especially Edinburgh) definitely made me feel as if I was in Hogwarts. In Glasgow, all the historical places such as the cathedral, reminded me that there is more to the world than just present day architecture. History is beautiful, and this exchange reminded me of that.

Upon arriving back to Boston I realized something different in me. This exchange pushed me to step out of my comfort zone. Meeting new people and having to ask many questions to be able to get around in Glasgow really helped me become more open to people and making friends.. Before the trip I cannot say that I was very close with any of the Ambassadors; however spending that week with all of them in Scotland made us grow closer as friends. Now not only do I have five more friends to sit and talk with during breaks when school starts, but I also have many more friends whom I left behind in Scotland and plan to visit again in the future.

Thank you to all of you who made this exchange possible. It really began to open my eyes to the beautiful world and people beyond us.