eileen mcmahon’s blog

reflections on digital curriculum

the importance of scaffolding learning

| 5 Comments

I’ve been taking group button accordion lessons at Comhaltas Celtoiri Eireann boston Music School for 5 years and have made little progress after the first year. My 7 year old daughter who just started playing the fiddle in September is making more progress than I did in my first year. Why? Aside from the plasticity of her brain, the fact that she has been irish step dancing from age 3 thus has a good feel for the music and good timing, her instructor has scaffolded the learning experience for her.

To scaffolded the learning process you have to break a complex set of skills that are required to demonstrate mastery of a subject into a sequence of steps.

In my case my accordion teacher played a tune he wanted me to learn and then sent me home with the music to not only to play perfectly but to play without the music in one week. My daughter’s teaching in contrast, fist had my daughter memorize the tune by lilting it. One week later he taught her the first part of the tune and showed her how to do this without the music, she practice the tune all week and the third week she played it with her group of 3 other students while the teacher snapped his fingers to keep them in time. After they played the tune together several times, he critiqued each player gave them some tip, corrected some errors and then taught them the second part by ear. He told my daughter to practice the whole tune and to that she could end her practice session when she had played the new tune perfectly 3 times.

Meanwhile, I’ve been getting worse and worse because my learning hasn’t been scaffolded, so I can’t even play in group sessions because I can’t play without looking at the music!!! All my effort has really been wasted because my instructor didn’t know enough to break down the skills involved in playing a traditional irish tune at a session.

5 Comments

1. Eileen, that’s a a really interesting conceptualization: all the pieces are nothing I haven’t haven’t heard before, but when you tied it together under the concept of Scaffolding Learning, it all clicked together!

I think the difficulty (and the making of a good teacher) is being able to take your own mastery of a skill or concept, and be reflective enough to deconstruct it into separate parts for a beginner. Mastery is more than just being able to do something faster or more efficiently, it’s about having a strong understanding of how complex and multitudinous pieces all fit together into a cohesive whole. It’s amazing how good our brains are at hiding all that complexity sometimes.

Thanks for the deep thoughts and I wish you the best of luck with your accordion lessons!

2. Pingback: Innovation: one step at at time

3. Hi, I’ve been looking for a site like yours since last Saturday. The last place I searched (should be the first) was in Google, using the keywords “on line learning”. Anyway, it was worth the search because I really like this website and your post regarding the importance of scaffolding learning looks very interesting for me. Definitely Stumbled!

4. I really liked this post. Can I copy?
    Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Your Reader.

5. Yes, You can reuse it I’m sharing it under the Creative Commons share-a-like License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/)