Students want to :
- strong commitment to community building , helping the faculty create collaborate environment. So instructructional designers would do: How do you ask questions, how do you inspire dialogue.
- Used social learning constructs. activities were social activities- what the students can share with one another, and what faculty can share with students.
- Ease of accessing streams of content and new info and ease of contributing info
Academic engagement Network goingon.com
- my dashboard-activity streams, my content, notification and feeds
- my communities: programs workgroups, social classrooms, student cooperatives, clubs and associations
- my channels and feeds: announcements, news and events SIS data, web resources
- my academic identity
If we build it, will they come:
- remember fundamentals: domain community and practice. Think participant goals first, institutional goals second
- Design for growth: create flexible goals and tools at any pace. Build aspects that promote new differentiate activities
- Build Critical mass: involve key participants earl, pick strong projects that involve diverse participation, develop buy in quickly
- Develop permeable space, involve novice and experts, inside and outside constituents
- Make sure all participants derive value
- Everyone should see value in participation- focus groups
- Abide by community norms and foster trustAllow the community to develop its own policies and prococedures. allow the profile to move among communities.