Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a research volunteer?

To volunteer as a researcher with the 1919 Boston Police Strike Project, you will need to enroll in our online course, Doing Biographical Research: the 1919 Boston Police Strike Project. The course will instruct you in biographical research methods and introduce you to the Bio Worksheet, the document developed at UMass Boston to organize biographical information specific to this project. Upon completion of the course you will be asked to submit a Test Worksheet to demonstrate your ability to conduct reliable research and document that research according to our requirements.

I would like to be involved with the 1919 Boston Police Strike Project but I do not want to research a striker.  Is there any other way I can contribute?

The 1919 Boston Police Strike Project is made possible by a growing team of volunteers. As the centennial approaches we will send out additional calls for volunteers through our mailing list. Don’t miss a call by subscribing here.

I would like to research a striker but I am having trouble with the online course and/or completing the Test Worksheet.

If you are unable to complete the training process required of research volunteers, there are other ways you can get involved with the Project. You can submit photographs, research files, and personal stories on our blog. Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive project updates and calls for other volunteers as Project needs evolve. Learn more about how to get involved here.

Can I request a striker to research?

If you’ve completed the online training and Test Worksheet, we can accommodate your request to research a specific striker. However, many strikers have already been researched at this point in the Project. To see if the striker you want to research is available, search our database. If there is a name in the “Starter ID” category, another volunteer has already begun work on that striker. You may also be interested in researching a striker from a particular ward or district. You can search for strikers by ward or district in the database, or ask us to assign one from the ward/district at random.

I’m a volunteer researcher and I cannot find information about the striker I’ve been assigned. What do I do?

Don’t worry! There are going to be some strikers who are more difficult to find in the records than others, and that’s okay. As a “starter” researcher, you’re doing a first pass at the research to see what is online. During the “reviewer” phase, other volunteers will do a deeper dive to dig up harder to find records.

I am the descendant/friend/acquaintance of a striker. How can I contribute to the Project?

There are many ways to contribute personal information to the 1919 Boston Police Strike Project. We aim to include a photograph of each and every striker in our database. If you have a photograph of a striker, preferably dating to the time of the strike, you can share it with us here. We are also collecting stories and memories about the strike and strikers.

I’ve submitted a photograph and/or story about a striker. When will it be made public? Where will I be able to see it? Is there anything else I need to do to ensure these contributions are included?

Photographs and stories that are accepted into the Project will be published on the project website on the centennial of strike, September 9, 2019.

Can you tell me what information you have found about a striker so far? I’d like to see your research.

We’re glad you’ve found us! Our biographical database will contain information we collect on each striker. This database will be made available to the public in September 2019.  Since our focus now is doing the research on more than 1,100 strikers we will not be able to share ongoing research on individual strikers until the launch date in September 2019.

What if I have questions about the Bio Worksheet and the research process?

The project’s online course provides step-by-step training, videos and information about the worksheet and the research process.  Enroll in the free online training course or go to openeducation.blackboard.com to access an existing account.

Still have a question?  You can contact us at library.archives@umb.edu. We will get back to you as soon as we can!