Saturday Evening Girls talk at North End Branch of Boston Public Library

Ethel Epstein Maysles, Anna Cooper Levin, and Lea Ginsberg Dektor. Image courtesy University Archives & Special Collections, Joseph P. Healey Library, UMass Boston.

Ethel Epstein Maysles, Anna Cooper Levin, and Lea Ginsberg Dektor. Image courtesy University Archives & Special Collections, Joseph P. Healey Library, UMass Boston.

When: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 | 6:00 pm

Where: North End Branch of the Boston Public Library | 25 Parmenter Street, Boston, Mass. 02113

Click here to view a map.

On Wednesday, June 4, at 6:00 pm, the North End Branch of the Boston Public Library will host a talk by Dr. Dorothy E. King, assistant professor of sociology at Penn State Harrisburg, titled “SATURDAY EVENING GIRLS: Jewish and Italian Immigrant Artists and Scholars of Early 1900s Boston.”

The Saturday Evening Girls, created in 1899 as a reading group at the North Bennet Street Industrial School and expanded into an educational club of the Boston Public Library, became a progressive movement to educate and socialize young women on the North End. Best known for establishing the Paul Revere Pottery, the organization also published a newsletter, sponsored ethnic and cultural events, and trained women for leadership responsibilities in local and broader arenas.

This event is free and open to the public. Click here for more information.

University Archives & Special Collections in the Joseph P. Healey Library at UMass Boston recently acquired the Barbara Maysles Kramer Collection, courtesy of the family of Barbara Kramer. Kramer spent many years researching the history of the Saturday Evening Girls, gathering recollections and documentation of the turn-of-the-20th century group. The collection is currently being processed by UMass Boston archivists and will be fully open for research soon. Keep visiting this blog for updates about the status of this exciting new addition to the Healey Library at UMass Boston’s special collections.

University Archives & Special Collections in the Joseph P. Healey Library at UMass Boston collects materials related to the University’s history, as well as materials that reflect the institution’s urban mission and strong support of community service, notably in collections of records of urban planning, social action, alternative movements, community organizations, and local history related to neighboring communities, including the Boston Harbor Islands. To learn more about University Archives & Special Collections, visit blogs.umb.edu/archives.

Irish Immigrant Experience Mass. Memories Road Show images and stories now available

'Taken outside family home in County Kerry, Ireland. Pictured, from left to right: Moriarty cousins (children in rear), (front left) my uncle James Shea, (front right) my grandmother Mary Shea.' 1938. Contributor: Joan Walsh.

‘Taken outside family home in County Kerry, Ireland. Pictured, from left to right: Moriarty cousins (children in rear), (front left) my uncle James Shea, (front right) my grandmother Mary Shea.’ 1938. Contributor: Joan Walsh.

The images and stories gathered at the Irish Immigrant Experience Mass. Memories Road Show on November 16, 2013 are now available online. Held at the Irish Cultural Centre of New England (ICCNE) in Canton, Mass., the event was organized and sponsored by the ICCNE in conjunction with The Irish Ancestral Research Association (TIARA), The Eire Society of Boston, and the Consulate General of Ireland.

Two dozen volunteers from these organizations worked together with a team of UMass Boston staff members and graduate students as well as “Roadies” from past Mass. Memories Road Shows to welcome individuals with connections to Ireland and Irish American heritage.

'We were waiting in Cobh to board the boat to America--we went into N.Y. port. Pictured, from left to right, back to front: my dad Patrick Heeney, myself Frances Heeney, my mother Anna Heeney and Mary Heeney.' 1953. Contributor: Fran Heeney.

‘We were waiting in Cobh to board the boat to America–we went into N.Y. port. Pictured, from left to right, back to front: my dad Patrick Heeney, myself Frances Heeney, my mother Anna Heeney and Mary Heeney.’ 1953. Contributor: Fran Heeney.

About 100 individuals shared almost 250 photographs of family members who immigrated from Ireland to the United States as long ago as the mid-19th century and as recently as the late-20th century. Several contributors brought images of ancestors who were born in Ireland, recording carefully researched stories of how their relatives settled, found work, and formed communities in Massachusetts.

'This is a picture of my father's mother, sister and brothers after they were finally together again in America. My father was approx. 29 years old. Most families had a similar photo taken after arriving in America. This picture always brings back memories of this wonderful group of people. Pictured, from back to front, left to right: Mary Kathleen Sheehan, Cornelius Sheehan, Jerimah Sheehan, my father John Sheehan, my grandmother Nora Sheehan and William Sheehan.' 1926. Contributor: Claire McWade.

‘This is a picture of my father’s mother, sister and brothers after they were finally together again in America. My father was approx. 29 years old. Most families had a similar photo taken after arriving in America. This picture always brings back memories of this wonderful group of people. Pictured, from back to front, left to right: Mary Kathleen Sheehan, Cornelius Sheehan, Jerimah Sheehan, my father John Sheehan, my grandmother Nora Sheehan and William Sheehan.’ 1926. Contributor: Claire McWade.

Studio portraits of Irish American families in Boston neighborhoods and surrounding towns figure prominently in this collection. Images of first communions, weddings, and family reunions are among the types of special occasions preserved. Many photographs and stories document the service of Irish Americans in the U.S. military during the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and, more recently, in Iraq.

Browse the Irish Immigrant Experience Mass. Memories Road Show collection.

The Mass. Memories Road Show is a statewide digital history project that documents people, places and events in Massachusetts history through family photographs and stories. In partnership with teams of local volunteers, we organize public events to scan family and community photographs and videotape “the stories behind the photos.” The images and videos are indexed and incorporated into an online educational database. Since its launch, the project has gathered more than 8,000 photographs and stories from across the state. It is supported in part by the Patricia C. Flaherty ’81 Endowed Fund at UMass Boston.  

University Archives & Special Collections in the Joseph P. Healey Library at UMass Boston was established in 1981 as a repository to collect archival material in subject areas of interest to the university, as well as the records of the university itself. The mission and history of UMass Boston guide the collection policies of University Archives & Special Collections, with the university’s urban mission and strong support of community service reflected in the records of and related to urban planning, social welfare, social action, alternative movements, community organizations, war and social consequence, and local history related to neighboring communities. To learn more, visit blogs.umb.edu/archives.

Provincetown Mass. Memories Road Show Images and Stories Online Now

'My wife Susan Soults modeling as a mermaid for an Atlantic Coast Fisheries promotion for frozen fish to be sold in the Midwest, 1964.' Contributor: Tony Jackett.

‘My wife Susan Soults modeling as a mermaid for an Atlantic Coast Fisheries promotion for frozen fish to be sold in the Midwest, 1964.’ Contributor: Tony Jackett.

The images and stories gathered at the Provincetown Mass. Memories Road Show on September 28, 2013 are now available online. Held at the Veterans Memorial Community Building, the event was organized by the Provincetown Public Library, Council on Aging, Town of Provincetown, Provincetown Art Commission, and Provincetown Monument and Museum.  Two dozen local volunteers worked together with a team of UMass Boston staff members and “Roadies” from past Mass. Memories Road Shows to welcome individuals with connections to the town.

About 120 individuals contributed over 300 photographs documenting personal memories of friends and relatives in Provincetown and beyond. Overall, the collection reflects both the rich cultural heritage and artistic character of the town and its residents. Several contributors brought images and stories about work or recreation at sea, while others shared photographs of such local businesses as the Old Colony Tap, Phantasy Photo, and the Now Voyager and Cape & Dagger bookstores. Images of weddings in the “hippie” era of the 1960s and 1970s and same-sex union ceremonies in more recent years are among the personal occasions preserved. The collection also includes photographs of town celebrations such as the prom at Provincetown High School, and the 4th of July and Carnival parades.

'Our wedding day, gorgeous warm November afternoon. On the deck overlooking Provincetown Harbor, 1971. Contributors: Deborah and Dennis Minsky.

‘Our wedding day, gorgeous warm November afternoon. On the deck overlooking Provincetown Harbor, 1971. Contributors: Deborah and Dennis Minsky.

Browse the Provincetown Mass. Memories Road Show collection.

The Mass. Memories Road Show is a statewide digital history project that documents people, places and events in Massachusetts history through family photographs and stories. In partnership with teams of local volunteers, we organize public events to scan family and community photographs and videotape “the stories behind the photos.” The images and videos are indexed and incorporated into an online educational database. Since its launch, the project has gathered more than 8,000 photographs and stories from across the state. It is supported in part by the Patricia C. Flaherty ’81 Endowed Fund at UMass Boston.  

University Archives & Special Collections in the Joseph P. Healey Library at UMass Boston was established in 1981 as a repository to collect archival material in subject areas of interest to the university, as well as the records of the university itself. The mission and history of UMass Boston guide the collection policies of University Archives & Special Collections, with the university’s urban mission and strong support of community service reflected in the records of and related to urban planning, social welfare, social action, alternative movements, community organizations, war and social consequence, and local history related to neighboring communities. To learn more, visit blogs.umb.edu/archives.

Mass. Memories Road Show heads to Wayland

Wayland Mass. Memories Road ShowWhen: Saturday, March 8, 2014 – 10 a.m – 2 p.m.

Location: Wayland Middle School, 201 Main Street, Wayland, Mass. Click here for directions.

Do you have a connection to Wayland, Massachusetts? Share your memories and take your place in Massachusetts history at this free, public event. Please bring up to three photographs related to your experience of Wayland. The photos will be scanned and immediately returned to you at the event. All images and stories collected at Mass. Memories Road Shows are available online at openarchives.umb.edu.

The Mass. Memories Road Show is a statewide digital history project that documents people, places, and events in Massachusetts history through family photographs and stories.

The Mass. Memories Road Show is produced by the Joseph P. Healey Library at UMass Boston and is co-sponsored by the Patricia C. Flaherty ’81 Endowed Fund.

The Wayland Mass. Memories Road Show is also sponsored locally by the Town of Wayland, 375th Anniversary Planning Committee.

Read more about the Wayland Mass. Memories Road Show here and here.

In the event of a snow storm, this Road Show will take place on Sunday, March 9, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Questions? Email carolyn.goldstein@umb.edu.

New book on Boston Harbor cleanup uses Healey Library collection

Each summer (and at least once each winter) Boston-area residents wade in the clean waters off the dozen or more beaches along Boston Harbor. Twenty-five years ago, however, Boston Harbor had a very different reputation: as one of the filthiest Harbors in the United States. The Harbor’s “Dirty Water” even inspired a 1966 song by the California-based band The Standells.

In his new book Trapped Under the Sea: One Engineering Marvel, Five Men, and a Disaster Ten Miles Into the Darkness, Boston Globe Magazine staff writer Neil Swidey tells the story of the cleanup and of an important final step in the construction of a nearly 10 mile tunnel that would carry billions of gallons of treated wastewater into the Massachusetts Bay.

From the website for the book: In the 1990s, Boston built a sophisticated waste treatment plant on Deer Island that was poised to show the country how to rebound from environmental ruin. The state had been dumping barely treated sewage into the water for so long that Boston had America’s filthiest harbor, with a layer of “black mayonnaise” coating the seafloor. Fisheries collapsed, wildlife fled, and locals referred to floating tampon applicators as “beach whistles.” But before the dumping could stop, a team of divers had to make a perilous journey to the end of a 10-mile tunnel—devoid of light and air—to complete the construction. Five went in, but not all of them came out … [In Trapped Under the Sea, Swidey recounts the] harrowing story of five men who were sent into a dark, airless, miles-long tunnel, hundreds of feet below the ocean, to do a nearly impossible job—with deadly results.

Judge A. David Mazzone speaking at 2001 Honorary Degree Dinner. Judge Mazzone was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws at the 2001 Commencement.

Judge A. David Mazzone speaking at 2001 Honorary Degree Dinner. Judge Mazzone was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws at UMass Boston’s 2001 Commencement.

The Boston Harbor Cleanup Case was a landmark one for Massachusetts. The initial order and subsequent timetable of U.S. Federal District Judge A. David Mazzone set into play one of the largest public works projects ever undertaken in New England at a total cost of over $3.8 billion. It resulted in the construction of a new primary wastewater treatment center at Deer Island (“the Boston Harbor Treatment Plant”), facilities at Fore River Shipyard in Quincy to process sewage sludge, a tunnel from Nut Island to Deer Island, and a 9.5 mile outfall tunnel to discharge treated effluent offshore in Massachusetts Bay. These four major construction projects were designed to deal with the problem of untreated sewage water which had been dumped into Boston Harbor for decades. The case was originally filed in three separate lawsuits, culminating in Judge Mazzone’s 1985 ruling that made the cleanup of the Boston Harbor a non-voluntary, court-ordered mandate.

The Chamber Papers of Judge A. David Mazzone on the Boston Harbor Clean Up Case (1985-2005) were donated to University Archives & Special Collections in the Joseph P. Healey Library at UMass Boston in 2005, shortly after Judge Mazzone passed away. Swidey used Mazzone’s papers as part of the research and documentation for his book.

Read more about Trapped Under the Sea, including information about upcoming author events, here.

University Archives & Special Collections in the Joseph P. Healey Library at UMass Boston collects materials related to the university’s history, as well as materials that reflect the institution’s urban mission and strong support of community service, notably in collections of records of urban planning, social welfare, social action, alternative movements, community organizations, and local history related to neighboring communities.

University Archives & Special Collections welcomes inquiries from individuals, organizations, and businesses interested in donating materials of an archival nature that that fit within our collecting policy. These include manuscripts, documents, organizational archives, collections of photographs, unique publications, and audio and video media. For more information about donating to University Archives & Special Collections, click here or email library.archives@umb.edu.