The Sunset and walking advertisements

We have been enjoying ourselves in Stone Town and found out today that this Friday, I will go to the government offices to do the final processing for my research permit. We are making progress and this is very exciting.

Most days, we eat out at lunch, but are home around dinner time. It is very popular here as a tourist to sit and watch the sun set and enjoy drinks and dinner. The picture below I took last summer when I was here.

A Stone Town sunset

A Stone Town sunset

Because so many people want to take a picture of the sunset, it can be difficult at times to get the picture and see the sunset.

A crowded shot

A crowded shot

Last night, we sat at this nice restaurant and ate fresh tuna and kingfish and enjoyed the view. The tables are on the beach and my toes were nestled in the sand. If you want to shop, there is no need to get up, the merchants come to you. Keith said that we have our passing advertisements as we eat.

20161004_181046

We did experience a little bit of illness over the weekend, but we have recovered and I started my scuba open water course on Tuesday to be certified again. I knew that I wanted to take advantage of the amazing diving in Zanzibar when I found out that we were going to be living here. Twenty years ago when I was fortunate enough to live in Saudi Arabia with my parents, I was scuba certified and went on an amazing trip to the Red Sea for diving. But, since we left Saudi Arabia, I have only snorkeled and not participated in scuba. Given the length of time and changes in technology since I last did it, I wanted to do the course over again and am really glad that I did. I have had a wonderful instructor, Boko, at the One Ocean Dive Centre in Stone Town and the owner and staff have all been helpful and encouraging. Tomorrow or Friday I will post some pictures and information about my dive trips, but here is a teaser picture.

On the dive boat on the way to the first dive site