SASS – UMass Boston – Fiske Center – Archaeology

Blog of the Skagafjordur Archaeological Settlement Survey

Kite Photo of Seyla

| 0 comments

Excavation at Seyla has been continuing right along.  I put the kite up again yesterday afternoon, and got some shots that give a nice overview of what we’ve got.  North is at about one o’clock in this photo:

In the northwestern quadrant (at the top), you can see Doug and some of the UMB/Kenyon team investigating the deposits that are over and around what should turn out to be the church at the center of the yard.  In the southeast (at the bottom), Guðný and her Icelandic colleagues are working near the cut of the grave that was excavated in 2009 (the darkest, deepest hole).  As you might be able to make out, they’ve uncovered several other graves adjacent to that one.  So far, these new graves have proved to be largely empty.  There’s much more to do, though!

Surrounding all of us (and clearest on the eastern side of the excavation), there are the stones of the circular wall that defines the churchyard.  This is the same wall that we first saw in the ground penetrating radar data in 2009!

There’s a lot of detail in the linked version of the above photo, so try zooming in!

Author: John Schoenfelder

I'm a lecturer at UMass Boston, and I also contribute occasionally to projects of the Fiske Center for Archaeological Research. I've worked on a wide variety of archaeological projects in a wide variety of places: California, Israel, Hawaii, Alaska, Indonesia, Iceland, Greenland, and New England. I earned my PhD at UCLA, where I wrote a dissertation that focused on the archaeology and anthropology of the Indonesian island of Bali, exploring the relationship between the development and spread of irrigated rice agriculture and the evolution of polities (chiefdoms and states) and their monuments. I have also contributed to cultural and genetic anthropology projects regarding Indonesia. I'm interested in cartographic survey (field mapping), and enjoy taking photographs of archaeological sites from kites, poles, and other small things that go up in the sky.