The meaning of community

from Robyn H – posted Jan 21, 2013

So rather than wax poetic I thought I would just write down some quick thoughts about what I’ve learned from the Nantucket Semester experience so far. Being day 2 only I can say that today I learned more about community spirit than I knew before. That or I’ve at least come to understand better what community means. Of course we all knew that Nantucket represented a real community, one deeply entrenched in a spirit of cooperation, one embracing sustainability in all actions, one that would feed the spirits of our students while we fed their minds. But I could never have imagined how the reality would outstrip the imagined.

Whether it was the fact our students attended a vigil for a local woman who fights for her life or whether it was the texting and emailing back and forth with everyone involved with the program I don’t know. But at some point today, in the frigid cold and perceived isolation of the Harbor campus in Boston, one thing came into sharp focus. Nantucket is truly a community and we are more fortunate than words can say to have been embraced so warmly by it. And I mean ALL! Growing up you hear about places like Nantucket but can’t conceive they are real. As an adult you yearn for them knowing , all too well, that they are, like Santa Claus, a fiction invented to give you solace. But now “we” know. Now the students and faculty from UMass Boston really know. That they are a community and that they are being taught by the sages of Nantucket precisely what that means.

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts by Hannigan. Bookmark the permalink.

About Hannigan

Not only am I the Green Dean I am an active enthusiast of all things geochemical. I sincerely believe that geochemistry is the way and the light and that if you're not using geochemistry, if you're not passionately in love with the planet and its past then you're really missing out!