Kenya Heart and Sole

The Afya Njema Project

Mahesh Jhangiani

| 0 comments

I was born and raised in India, and went to Catholic school run by the Jesuit Society. I lost my father when I was 15 years old, while both my older brothers were in the USA. I was essentially raised by my mother and older sister. I went to college to study business and economics, and migrated to the USA at the age of 22 years. In America, I worked as a bookkeeper for 7 years, and accounting proofreader for 5 years. I went back to college for engineering at the age of 32, but discontinued after 1 year. I then worked as high-school math and science tutor for 1 year, after which I worked as addictions counselor in a halfway house for men on and off for 10 years, and also nursing assistant in an emergency room, while studying post-baccalaureate premedical sciences in the evening. I became a nurse at age 48, in 2006, and have not looked back since. I feel I should have been a nurse 30 years ago! I lead a simple life gathering pleasure from simple things, although my partner and I like to travel and we save enough money to travel overseas at least once a year (we got back from India two weeks ago). I do not have any hobbies, other than “puttering around,” and spending time with friends. Being in school almost all the time I seldom have time to read as I once did. School work keeps me occupied; learning is something I prefer over watching television. My quest is to make a difference in others’ lives wherever and whenever I am given the opportunity. I currently work as a nurse in a psychiatric hospital, in the inpatient detoxification unit. I look forward to this opportunity to interact with my fellow Kenyan nursing students. unnamed-1