Kenya Heart and Sole

The Afya Njema Project

Kenya Heart & Sole Debriefing Conference 2013

The debriefing conference was the last hurrah for this year’s trip to Kenya. Our Kenyan partners were invited to join us at the Methodist Guest House to discuss ways to improve the Heart & Sole project and partake in some good ol fashioned celebration.  During the morning conference, I had the opportunity to lead a small group discussion and then speak on behalf of my group in front of the entire team. Despite feeling nervous at first, it went really well.

During the small group discussions, we had a list of questions to reflect upon which were centered on ways to improve Kenyan health care policy. Some of the questions included ways major stakeholders in the Kenyan health care system, such as charge nurses and the chief nursing officer, could help address non-communicable diseases. Everyone was a little reluctant to speak up at first, but it didn’t take long for members of the group to start voicing opinions. Much of the time was spent debating how to deal with corruption and the need for organization within the Kenyan nursing community.

After an hour or so, we all met back at the main auditorium to share our ideas. One by one, my fellow group leaders and I took the microphone to share the reflections. Looking out into that large group of people, we were all a bit jittery. However as we began to pass around the mic, we became more relaxed. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to speak at the conference. Not only did I learn a lot through the discussion, it was a great honor to take such an active role.

After the morning conference was over, the real fun began. We gathered for a big feast in the dining hall and then cleared out the auditorium for the annual KHaS dance party/talent show. In between periods of lively dancing, people played live music, put on skits and performed other talents. It was a blast! I have to say, when it comes to dancing and singing, the Kenyans are extremely talented. Thank you again for having us! It was wonderful working with you again. Asante sana!

Darren Golden

Skip to toolbar