Where are they now? AJ Ferguson MBA, Class of 2010

Ferguson, AJ

AJ Ferguson, MBA, Finance & Healthcare Management, Class of 2010

Entering the UMASS Boston MBA program was intended to simply assist in a bump up the career ladder.  However, soon after beginning coursework in the summer of 2008, there was to be an economic meltdown, of proportions not seen since the Great Depression, or at least that’s how the media portrayed it!  I remember about half way through the program, starting to reach out to recruiters, and past contacts, and realizing I would be re-entering a very tough job market.  One person told me that I should consider myself lucky to be “behind the walls of the ivory tower the way the economy is now,” so I didn’t give it too much worry, but made a mental note, and continued along with studies.

After graduation, it was apparent, re-entering the job market would be tough – especially with a Finance MBA, in the middle of a crisis purportedly orchestrated by Finance MBAs. I dove in anyway, but didn’t really find what I was looking for right away.  Several months past, and I realized I needed to be more creative, patient, and get through the tough times we were living in.   I had already been a real estate investor, more or less a hobby business, and went about revamping some of my existing strategies – had to increase revenues, cut costs, and incorporate for tax purposes.   Ultimately converted properties to short-term corporate rentals, increased income, and yes, swung a hammer myself to keep expenses low – even added another property to the portfolio in the depths of the Florida housing collapse!  Lido Beach is the best if you’re ever in South Florida!

Bottom line, the UMASS Boston MBA program is great place to call home…at any time in your career!  I felt energized going back to school after a decade…the quality of the professors was top-notch.  They care about students and make themselves available, and classes are fairly small to promote learning and interaction. Don’t be fooled, the program is rigorous and world-class…I was challenged in every course, and my speaking and presentation skills were tested continually!  At the end of the day, the classroom, teamwork, and case method experiences were all excellent and of high-quality.   I look forward to future studies, at some point, with a new interest in accounting and tax…perhaps a CPA.