VoiceThread as Paper Review
VoiceThread can be a great way to give feedback on your students’ papers using the voice and video commenting features. In this way, VoiceThread can simulate a face-to-face workshop environment.
The steps to set up a paper review VoiceThread are as follows:
- Instructor: Set up a VoiceThread link in Blackboard.
- Student: Upload your paper as a PDF.
- Instructor: Review the student’s paper using voice or video commenting.
Step 1: Create and Configure a VoiceThread Link
Decide on a content area where you would like your paper review VoiceThread to appear. For example: Weekly Sessions or Assignments. Then:
- Hover over Build Content.
- Click UMB VoiceThread.
- On the Create UMB VoiceThread screen, name your link.
- Click Submit.
- Find and click on your VoiceThread in the content area menu.
- DO NOT click the Launch Icon that appears. Wait for the link to launch automatically.
- On the VoiceThread setup screen click VT Home.
Step 3: Open a Student Paper in VoiceThread
- Find and click the Paper Review VoiceThread link in Blackboard.
- DO NOT click the Launch icon that appears. Wait for the link to launch automatically.
- Find and click a student’s paper on the VT Home Screen.
Step 4: Comment on the Student’s Paper
- Click the Comment Bubble in the bottom center of the slide to open the Commenting Fan. Note: To start commenting on a different page, use the Arrows in the lower right corner (6).
- Click either the Microphone Icon to leave an audio comment or the Video Icon to leave a video comment. Note: A security prompt may appear. Click Allow.
- During recording, you may use the Colored Pencil feature to annotate on the page while commenting. Click Fade to toggle whether the pencil “markings” stay or slowly fade from view.
- When you are done recording, click Stop Recording.
- The comment automatically begins playing back. If you are satisfied with your comment, click Save. If not, click Cancel to record a new comment.
- Click the Arrow in the lower right corner to advance to the next page. Note: Start a new comment on each slide. Follow this process: Comment, Save, Advance to the next slide, repeat. Make sure to save before advancing to the next slide.
Step 5: Notify Students of Completion
The best practice is to complete comments on all student papers and then make an Announcement in Blackboard. Or, send out a course email informing everyone they may now review your comments in VoiceThread.