Narrating Your Syllabus with VoiceThread
By providing a narrated syllabus at the beginning of the semester, your course starts off on a more personal note. Your students are able to see and hear you and are given the opportunity to ask questions and make comments with their own voice and/or video.
View Ellen’s video for an overview. Follow the steps below to narrate your syllabus.
Narrate Your Syllabus
Before you start narrating your syllabus, take a moment to create a photo identity to better establish your online presence in the course.
To narrate and share your syllabus with VoiceThread, complete the following:
- Create and configure a VoiceThread link.
- Upload your syllabus.
- Add extra slides, if needed.
- Record your narration.
- Share your syllabus.
Step 1: Create and Configure a VoiceThread Link
Select the Start Here (Syllabus) content area. Then:
- Hover over Build Content.
- Click UMB VoiceThread.
- On the Create UMB VoiceThread screen, name your link.
- Under the Attachment heading, click Browse My Computer to attach a PDF version of your syllabus. This way, your students can have a standard copy along with the Narrated Syllabus.
- Click Submit.
- Find and click on your VoiceThread in the content area menu.
- DO NOT click the Launch icon that appears. Wait for the link to launch automatically.
- On the VoiceThread setup screen click Individual VoiceThread
Step 2: Upload Your Syllabus
- In the upper left corner of the screen, click on Create new VoiceThread. Note: If you have already created VoiceThreads, they will appear below the Create new VoiceThread button.
- Click Add Media.
- Click My Computer, and select a file to upload. Note: Be sure the file you are uploading is in PDF format.
- While your file is uploading, Name your VoiceThread and add an optional description.
- Click Save.
Step 3: Add Extra Slides if Needed
The initial image or PowerPoint PDF uploaded creates your VoiceThread, but you may always add more slides by doing the following:
Step 4: Record Your Narration
- To begin the narration, click Comment.
- Click the Comment Bubble in the bottom center of the slide to open the Commenting Fan.
- Click either the Microphone Icon to leave an audio comment or the Video Icon to leave a video comment. Note: A security prompt may appear. Click Allow.
- During recording, you may use the Colored Pencil feature to annotate the slide while commenting. Click Fade to toggle whether the pencil “markings” stay or slowly fade from view.
- When you are done recording, click Stop Recording.
- The comment automatically begins playing back. If you are satisfied with your comment, click Save. If not, click Cancel to record a new comment.
- Click the Arrow in the lower right corner to advance to the next slide. Note: Start a new comment on each slide. Follow this process: Comment, Save, Advance to the next slide, repeat. Make sure to save before advancing to the next slide.
Step 5: Share Your Narrated Syllabus
- Click the X in the upper right corner to close your VoiceThread.
- To share your VoiceThread with your Blackboard course, click Share with class.
- To finalize the sharing, click Share with Class again.
- To return to your Blackboard course, click Return to course.
Students may now comment or ask questions about the syllabus. For instructions on student participation, see the Student Comment Guide.