With a new school year about to begin, i would like to reflect on the summer gone by. It has been one of the more busier ones with many things happening on the work and home front. No, i am not complaining, but rather reflecting that i wish i had some more down-time — time to do nothing! So here are some of the highlights:
1. My oldest son sets off to college to pursue his dreams….which i am sure will change over the next four/five years. Would be curious to see what he decides to do. My youngest son enters high-school….i am sure he was very anxious.
2. My meeting with old college friends and their family – not just spending a few hours with them, but spending several days, mainly touring the sites on the east coast. After living in this country for 25+ years, there were sites that my family had not visited and this gave us an incentive to visit them.
3. A visit to the beautiful resort of Cancun, Mexico. Hmmmmm…i should count this as my down-time…..where there is not much to do, but eat and drink by the sandy beaches and the blue water. It was indeed relaxing, but the weighing scale and my primary doctor were not too happy.
4. The rabbit and the vegetable garden. I am glad that the rabbit ate well — lettuce leaves, green beans and snap peas. Eggplant, sweet pepper and tomatoes were spared and that is what we ate!
5. The presidential campaign. Oh! when is it going to end. I feel sorry for the folks that live in the battleground states….with TV advertisement, robot calling and the likes, the only ones that are prospering are the media companies. The one thing that i do like … is the technology CNN uses….so interactive….would be nice to use it in our classrooms to engage students.
The republican national convention was as other political events go…quite boring….lots of speeches read from teleprompters ….. maybe it should be required that each speaker give an extempore speech … which I am sure will be more fun and genuine. Clint Eastwood, was the only one that did not read from a teleprompter….good for him. Isaac did leave his mark on Louisiana — by and large the levy’s held up….maybe the president can pass an executive order or the house can pass a law barring any more hurricanes from hitting Louisiana. It has had its fair share of devastation.
6. The summer of violence. The shootings in the movie theater, the Sikh temple, in Baltimore at a school and i am sure many more that i am not aware off. We must do something – gun control + education??? Sigh!
7. The event that brought the world together – including my family where we all agreed on one show was the London Olympics. It was spectacular….the swimming, gymnastics, track and field, etc. I just wish NBC showed the events “live” rather than at night by when we already know the results.
Am I ready for the Fall 2012? I think so. We have 44 new faculty joining this year and I am sure we will be busy ….new products (Blackboard Learn 9.x, Office 365), upgrades to existing systems (Adobe Creative Suite, SPSS, NVIVO, etc.) & new services (iPad in the classroom). Stay tuned.